Threading Tool Reccommendations

Bully

Registered
Registered
I'm tooling up to thread and chamber my own rifles. I'm looking for recommendations on threading tools. I will be threading from 28tpi to 16tpi regularly. I'd love a tool that can handle both of those pitches if possible but if not please recommend 2 tools. I will be doing both inside and outside threads.

I will be cutting both carbon and stainless and will be doing most of my work at slow speeds.

I have an Aloris QCTP that can accommodate 1/2" shank tooling.

I'm looking for recommendations on holders as well. Not just inserts.

I don't forsee myself threading inside 1/2-28 but that's a cool little tool. Mostly I'll be threading inside actions for truing.

I also will not be grinding my own tooling. Not gonna happen. I don't have the skillset at this point to undertake that kind of challenge. All threading will be done with insert tooling.

Thanks in advance.

HSS inserts, perfect for low speed work, google em, I think the company is Warner or Werner, something like that. Or spend a day and learn how to sharpen HSS its not rocket science its Lathe 101.

HSS insert tool manufacturer is A.R. Warner. I happen to have purchased one of their kits yesterday at the Cabin Fever Expo. I have not had a chance to use it yet.

A.R. Warner site

In addition to the unusual HSS insert, the design has the insert positioned vertically, which is meant to be more rigid.

I also have HSS solid bit ground for 60 deg angle and carbide threaded inserts.

For OD threading, Mesa makes a nice tool. If the threads are important, get full form inserts for the 16ER lay down inserts. The root will be the correct radius and the crown is rounded - it does the half the correct radius crown on each side.

Having the thread profile just right is sort of a academic thing, I doubt the thread performance is significantly better - but on commercial work correct thread form is an expectation.

You ID threading? How small is the bore? Under 3/4" is getting tight - learn to grind. The Mesa only goes down to about 1" bores.

You can still get cemented lathe tools , they use to have several grades and even for threading . You can get insert tooling on eBay , even some of the China stuff seems to be doing better . You need to figure the size holder for the tool post size.

HSS insert tool manufacturer is A.R. Warner. I happen to have purchased one of their kits yesterday at the Cabin Fever Expo. I have not had a chance to use it yet.

A.R. Warner site

In addition to the unusual HSS insert, the design has the insert positioned vertically, which is meant to be more rigid.

I also have HSS solid bit ground for 60 deg angle and carbide threaded inserts.

Which did you get?

@Chipper5783 I will be doing inside Remington and Savage actions to thread them round. Nothing super complex or small.

I use Iscar MGCH 06 and MGCH 08 bars, in addition to threading in bores down to 8mm and 11mm respectively the bars can be used with a variety of boring and grooving inserts. I often use them for external threads and grooves, all inserts are available in LH and RH.

Back