Threading upside down

Jeffphillips

Registered
Registered
I have watched the Joe Pie video several times now on threading upside down away from the headstock, and I need some help with a recommendation on a carbide insert tool holder to use with this method. to this point I have only used right hand 16ER style threading tools, and when flipped upside down, the geometry is such that it can’t get close to a shoulder on the headstock side.

left hand cutters in that style seem pretty uncommon, and there are almost too many choices out there to simply close my eyes and pick something else. I’m hoping someone can offer a suggestion or two.

thread pitches I am using range between 13 and 28 TPI typically.

I can't thread this way, yet. My chuck is threaded on the spindle and running it in reverse could cause it to come unloosened. I have plans to add a spindle collet adapter which will let me thread some things this way, but using a collet, but anything that requires a chuck is a risk.

There are 3 different posts running at this minute on this subject .

Use a threading boring bar, upside down with spindle in reverse.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can use the boring bar the standard way up, but cut on the rear of the part Either way will allow you to get close to a shoulder.

Last edited:
I use this Mesa toolholder. I use the insert that comes with it, but I also have HSS inserts from my normal method Arthur Warner threading toolholders that will fit in there too.

I also built one of one of Mark Jacob’s proximity stops, that’s a pretty slick idea that works well, I haven’t figured out which method I prefer yet, so use both methods for that. You will need a lathe with a VFD for that, so that might not work for you.

I used to do this. I just flipped over a standard threading insert toolholder. It’s automatically oriented correctly if running the chuck in fwd, and the threading feed rod in reverse.

I use this Mesa toolholder. I use the insert that comes with it, but I also have HSS inserts from my normal method Arthur Warner threading toolholders that will fit in there too.

I also built one of one of Mark Jacob’s proximity stops, that’s a pretty slick idea that works well, I haven’t figured out which method I prefer yet, so use both methods for that. You will need a lathe with a VFD for that, so that might not work for you.
It's still a right hand tool that can't cut to a shoulder as the op found.

It's still a right hand tool that can't cut to a shoulder as the op found.
that's incorrect, the gooseneck tool is designed to go up to a shoulder and threads away from the chuck, I have it and use it to do exactly what the OP wants to do.

that's incorrect, the gooseneck tool is designed to go up to a shoulder and threads away from the chuck, I have it and use it to do exactly what the OP wants to do.
That will cut a left hand thread.

I used to do this. I just flipped over a standard threading insert toolholder. It’s automatically oriented correctly if running the chuck in fwd, and the threading feed rod in reverse.
If the tool is flipped over it won't cut with the chuck running fwd. Flipping a tool over puts the insert point further from the chuck and the insert holder will hit a shoulder. The OP noted this.

Back