Threads "cracking" on flanks?

SmokeWalker

Registered
Registered
I’m getting this mysterious cracking on my threads in C37 alloy steel bolts I was single point threading on my manual lathe. Any ideas why? Tools were HSS and cutting fluid was used. Changing the sfm didn’t make much of a difference. The thread looks pretty good until you get close.

Attachments

• IMG_1351.JPG
    IMG_1351.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    889.3 KB · Views: 52
I went on the internet to look at specs for that material, supposedly it is a medium carbon steel, heat treated to Rockwell C 37, which is hard enough to require a cutting speed that is not too high to avoid dulling the cutting tool, but at that hardness, it should not be tearing, and should finish fairly well. If I had a problem like that I might make a mixture of TapMagic with some white lead mixed in.

Can you still buy white lead?
No, but I have a several lifetime supply! Want some? It is the very best thing for press fits; the yard superintendent at Kaiser Steel, who had formerly been a machinist and shop superintendent, said " you could shove a telephone pole up a fly's ass if you used white lead"

If you're going to use it you should get: -D-lead hand soap- removes heavy metal dusts.

Back