TIG ?

Ita gonna take some trial/error. I would try 30-40 amps and I’d arc of the filler rod touching the part to be welded. Then move torch at weld joint. Dead sharp and long point. Good luck.

I'd turn it up to 200 amps, hold tungsten close and give it a quick on/off pulse just like a small tack. Be stronger than the rest of the pieces. Might have to come back and do another 180 degrees, depends on how it looks.

I'd be tempted to try using 3/32 filler laid in there before hitting it with the TIG. Or braze it with al bronze. You might also try clamping it in a vice to sink some of the heat.

I'd turn it up to 200 amps, hold tungsten close and give it a quick on/off pulse just like a small tack. Be stronger than the rest of the pieces. Might have to come back and do another 180 degrees, depends on how it looks.
I was thinking the same approach to this, lightning quick high amperage tacks.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I got to the rings today, I tried the 200 amp setting, it was to explosive, and I could not control the burn. Next I tried the 40 amp suggestion, and that was much more controllable. I chickened out on using a single ring, and added a 2nd for my piece of mind, not wanting to have a failure with one or more big tunas on the hauler line. When I trust my welding I'll start using a single ring. I need 6 joints to make up 1 rig so I have a few spares.

I got to the rings today, I tried the 200 amp setting, it was to explosive, and I could not control the burn. Next I tried the 40 amp suggestion, and that was much more controllable. I chickened out on using a single ring, and added a 2nd for my piece of mind, not wanting to have a failure with one or more big tunas on the hauler line. When I trust my welding I'll start using a single ring. I need 6 joints to make up 1 rig so I have a few spares.

So, filler or not?

Try putting something just behind the weld -- a piece of sheet metal would work. The idea is to trap some argon around the weld instead of letting it just go by while pulling some air into the weld. Your weld will look better and be easier to accomplish.

I will keep that in mind.

720# main line, 400# to the bird, the spool is too full, I'm going to have to pull out some backing line.

Back