Time for a modern TIG machine. What do you like?

Tell me about your foot pedal. The stock one is not so great.
As @G-ManBart said (post #69) mine is a SSC model C910-0725.

As nice as pedals are, TIG Buttons are the way to go, IMO.
Not sure what you mean by "TIG Buttons" but I also have a 'add-on' thumb switch on one of the torches. Great for tacking and when you have to lay under a vehicle :)

Aaron

As @G-ManBart said (post #69) mine is a SSC model C910-0725.

Not sure what you mean by "TIG Buttons" but I also have a 'add-on' thumb switch on one of the torches. Great for tacking and when you have to lay under a vehicle :)

Aaron
It's a miniature "foot pedal" that is mounted directly on the TIG torch, and instead of a rocking lever acting on a potentiometer, there is a pressure-sensing button you push with your finger to vary the amps, that works together with an electronics box to send the appropriate voltage divided signal to the machine.

It's a miniature "foot pedal" that is mounted directly on the TIG torch, and instead of a rocking lever acting on a potentiometer, there is a pressure-sensing button you push with your finger to vary the amps, that works together with an electronics box to send the appropriate voltage divided signal to the machine.
I've looked at and read about these but not knowing how good the info and advertising was, have so far not ordered.
Would you as a user and pro recommend a brand or model? Thanks
Aaron

I've looked at and read about these but not knowing how good the info and advertising was, have so far not ordered.
Would you as a user and pro recommend a brand or model? Thanks
Aaron
I'll throw my $.02 here...

I think there is only one brand, and I think they're only available for select machines. However there are other rotary amperage controls available. Wheel, or track type slider control units.

Thought about fitting a tig button to my TIG. But the reality is most of my TIG is on a bench, and I really like the pedal. A lot of that has to do with time behind GRS engraving equipment, which is also pedal controlled. For me the pedal fits my 'natural' workflow better. Plus, I think the pressure thing would be odd. My hands are usually full when trying to TIG...

For those odd times I need to TIG off the bench, I just stick the on/off button back on the torch and set the settings close from the start. HF start makes that work pretty well. Well, that and the ramp up and down settings.

All that said, I would like to try one sometime. (I'd like to tear one apart, and see what sort of strain gauge/pressure sensor they are using, and how the electronics are built, etc...)

Dan

Ssc Controls makes one, but it is stepped and only does 4 discrete output stages: 25-50-75-100%. Some like it, but I prefer my TIG Button because it has an infinitely variable output just like a foot pedal. Check out www.tigcontrol.com or www.6061.com . I have yet to use my foot pedals again after getting TIG Buttons. Oh, and I'm not a pro, but I do have two of them and they're awesome.

Last edited:
I'm not a pro either, but I sure want a TIG Button! There are plenty of times even welding on the bench when the pedal is a pain to work with and something on the torch works better. I have an amptrol with the rotating wheel to start the arc and vary amperage, and have tried a few other kinds (sliding bar, wheel oriented 90*) and I'm not thrilled with any of them...the one I kept was pretty much free so I can't complain too much! After reading a number of reviews from people who own TIG Buttons, I'm positive I'd like one better and it's on my list of things to add sooner or later. Everyone says that after a very short period of time you don't really think about it and varying the amperage just sort of happens naturally.

I'm not a pro either, but I sure want a TIG Button! There are plenty of times even welding on the bench when the pedal is a pain to work with and something on the torch works better. I have an amptrol with the rotating wheel to start the arc and vary amperage, and have tried a few other kinds (sliding bar, wheel oriented 90*) and I'm not thrilled with any of them...the one I kept was pretty much free so I can't complain too much! After reading a number of reviews from people who own TIG Buttons, I'm positive I'd like one better and it's on my list of things to add sooner or later. Everyone says that after a very short period of time you don't really think about it and varying the amperage just sort of happens naturally.

Is your Amptrol (or what ever it is) like these?

I think trying to balance torch control, filler rod, and pressure on a button might make my head explode... lol.

Honestly tho, I'd like some seat time with all of the options to see which is more intuitive. Currently for those days when I just can't use a pedal the straight switch gets me by.

Dan

I think trying to balance torch control, filler rod, and pressure on a button might make my head explode... lol.

Honestly tho, I'd like some seat time with all of the options to see which is more intuitive. Currently for those days when I just can't use a pedal the straight switch gets me by.

Dan
Is your Amptrol (or what ever it is) like these?

Dan

The amptrol I kept is a bit different...they call it east/west because the wheel turns perpendicular to the axis of the torch. I found that easier to move with my thumb than the other types. It has a detent in the off position, so you push past that and the arc starts, then just rotate more to the right for higher amperage and vise versa. It stays where you leave it so you can get the arc started, set the heat and then ignore it if you don't have to change amperage. Then you just rotate left to wind down and past the detent the arc stops.

That's where I'm at with it. My hands are doing enough! That would be like only holding your filler rod with chopsticks. I've only ever used foot pedals. My philosophy is if you're not trying to hold some bass-ackwards body position, you're not really welding. It's bragging rights if you can do it all while standing with one foot. Uber so if you can run the pedal with a knee, elbow, or chin...

It does take a little extra concentration in order to channel the dexterity in your fingers without transforming your whole hand/wrist combo into a kung-fu grip, but just like TIG welding itself, no one was born knowing how to do it; we all had to practice to achieve some level of competency. It's the same with the TIG Button. Gotta practice.

Back