Time To Refresh My Machine Knowledge

Fishman

Registered
Registered
After a quick look around . I am motivated to get back to my home machine shop. The projects, skills and knowledge here have showed my how much I have forgotten or never learned. My lathe and shaper are waiting to be used. Time to get off my butt and do, some machine work.

Motivation is the key, fear not, I can't remember what I ate last night. Wish I had a home shop,
I do not, I have a business shop and days like today 33 degrees sleet mix rain yeekey, I aint a comming
out. Ole bones don't like the damp, don't ya know; & the shop heat is 70 (I hope) So what you got for
a shaper, that's the most used machine we use here cause stock is cleaned up first, then milled.
I know I'm ramblin again said this million times; just why use expensive end mills on rusted
stock when a $2 HSS ground bit lasts forever, and grind it over and over? They will produce a finsish
that you can shave with. secret is grinding the tool.. Few yrs back I scored a 2x2 by about 5 ft in
the woods, think it was a wagon axle, been there 100 yrs, chop sawed it, into 3x2's stuck it in the
shaper, squared it, made V blocks - blocks in general, and jack blocks. The left overs I shaped
wedges, wedges rule for clamping on the mill. All free junk stuff turned into tooling.........
ther ya go get in there and make chip samuel

Motivation is the key, fear not, I can't remember what I ate last night. Wish I had a home shop,
I do not, I have a business shop and days like today 33 degrees sleet mix rain yeekey, I aint a comming
out. Ole bones don't like the damp, don't ya know; & the shop heat is 70 (I hope) So what you got for
a shaper, that's the most used machine we use here cause stock is cleaned up first, then milled.
I know I'm ramblin again said this million times; just why use expensive end mills on rusted
stock when a $2 HSS ground bit lasts forever, and grind it over and over? They will produce a finsish
that you can shave with. secret is grinding the tool.. Few yrs back I scored a 2x2 by about 5 ft in
the woods, think it was a wagon axle, been there 100 yrs, chop sawed it, into 3x2's stuck it in the
shaper, squared it, made V blocks - blocks in general, and jack blocks. The left overs I shaped
wedges, wedges rule for clamping on the mill. All free junk stuff turned into tooling.........
ther ya go get in there and make chip samuel

GK 1918, You are right on the money, your words ring so true. There is a satisfaction when one uses knowledge and your hands to create useful objects. You are also right about the shaper, right now it is just taking up floor space. I will start slow and learn to use it. Winter is the perfect time to do it. Chips on the floor is the key to learn more. Thank you

My shaper is a 1952 South Bend 7"

Back