Tires for Rockwell 1x42 Grinder?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My old Rockwell (actually Delta) 1x42 grinder has no tires. I didn't know tires existed until I had had it a long time.

Obviously, they don't make tires for it now. What are other people using? I was thinking of cutting rings from an inner tube.

I use old cog belts with the flat side down---just cut to length and glue the splice. on my wood bandsaw I used an old cog belt and cut the cogs off. works great also. I have used the inner tubes but they are hard to cut them without the edges being perfect and they don't hold up like the reinforced cog belts.

I have a Delta 1x42. I bought it used. It didn't come with any tires on the wheels. Just some sort of plastic material on the plastic wheel that was chipped, cracked and coming off. I removed it. Didn't seem to hurt the performance of the sander. Next one of the plastic wheels came off of its bearing. This was the small wheel. The bearing being narrower than the plastic wheel seems to keep the belt in better position. Again no noticeable effect on the performance of the sander. Members have posted that they have made wheels out of aluminum with no tires that work. Also some have said that they replaced the plastic wheels with wheels for skateboards and inline skates with no adverse effect on performance.

I wouldn't worry about tires. Seems like you don't need them on a Delta 1x42 belt sander.

I have a Delta 1x42. I bought it used. It didn't come with any tires on the wheels. Just some sort of plastic material on the plastic wheel that was chipped, cracked and coming off. I removed it. Didn't seem to hurt the performance of the sander. Next one of the plastic wheels came off of its bearing. This was the small wheel. The bearing being narrower than the plastic wheel seems to keep the belt in better position. Again no noticeable effect on the performance of the sander. Members have posted that they have made wheels out of aluminum with no tires that work. Also some have said that they replaced the plastic wheels with wheels for skateboards and inline skates with no adverse effect on performance.

I wouldn't worry about tires. Seems like you don't need them on a Delta 1x42 belt sander.
My Craftsman has metal wheels, no tires. Works fine.
We have a 1x42 Grizzly at work, metal wheels, no tires.

Thanks for all the help.

I guess I'll let it go for now and make some aluminum wheels in the future.

You may be able to find replacement tires on eBay and/or Amazon. You'll need the diameter of your wheels, then search for "Urethane band saw tires".

Bruce

I appreciate the tip, but these pulleys are all very small.

It occurs to me that I could take 3" casters with urethane tires, remove the wheels, bore them for bearings, and use them instead.

Back