TMX (Toolmex) R8 Collets

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I don't use R8 collets much so I never bothered to buy any nice ones. I have just been using the R8 collet set that came with my import mill/drill. Well today I was looking at my collets & decided today's the day! Not very many options it seems these days for quality collets that won't break the bank. I didn't feel like searching for used collets.

• Hardinge is too much money for me even though I'm only looking to buy 6 sizes. About $49 ea.
  • Lyndex seems to have dropped in quality, no longer made in Japan. On MSC's site they are listed as COO India & still cost half the price of a Hardinge. MSC does have a 7pc set listed as made in the USA for just over $200 but no other info listed, no sizes or anything & can't find the p/n on Lyndex's site.
  • I missed the Crawford/PBA bandwagon. When I searched for them years ago I couldn't find the sizes I wanted.
  • Found a company called Dunham Tool Company that seems to be making R8 collets in the US, .0005" TIR. Not for sure though, never heard of them, $30 ea.

I came across TMX R8 collets. I had no idea they even offered R8 collets. Made in Italy & claim .0004" TIR. Only found 2 vendors selling them individually. I didn't want to spend a lot of money & these seem to be the perfect choice. I ended up paying just over $12 ea for them from Suncoast Precision Tools. They're in Florida but looks like these may be drop shipped from TMX. No additional cost for larger sizes like the other vendor, 2% discount, and best of all free shipping & no tax. Came out to $83 for 7 collets (I purchased an extra 1/2" since I use that a lot).

I hope they are decent or at least better than my generic collets. If they are I'll update here.

I have tried Crawford which are very good, Hardinge which are also very good and Lyndex which were a disappointment. My go to set is the TMX. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

Nice, that's good to hear, thanks for the info David.

Very interesting. I've had a Bison 5C 1/64" set for quite a few years, its been great quality like their chucks. (Somewhere along the line TMX was a Bison distributor or was Bison re-branded? .. never quite understood the relationship). I had to replace a collet & bought Lyndex for the first time through KBC Canada. It said made in Japan & was very nice quality. Maybe I got old stock. Same thing with a Lyndex R8 endmill holder, Japan & exceptional runout. Actually cost a bit less than Bison, at least here in Kanuckistan. I hope they don't outsource & go downhill, I was just starting to enjoy a blossoming relationship LOL.

TMX is the US distributor for Bison. Not everything from Lyndex-Nikken is made in India now, I have only noticed various collets now marked as India, R8 & 5C. I only researched their R8 collets & a number of people have complained out their quality. I have a few Lyndex items & they are great quality made in Japan.

I received the TMX collets today. They don't look like anything impressive. Not marked TMX or Italy on the collets themselves. I'll have to mark them so I can easily distinguish them from my others. The ones I received could use some deburring on the slots, very sharp edges which my China R8 collets did not have. However none of them are sprung closed like some of my China collets which is very annoying at times.

20200218_175822.jpg

Sorry, guys, I'm stupid. Got out the shower & thought, wait a minute, there is no way I could be getting almost 0 runout. Last time I checked my spindle it was like 2 tenths.

Broke out the Interapid & the Noga solid arm holder. Stuck the 1/2" collet & a gauge pin in, was getting like 5-7 tenths. I don't know what the heck I did earlier, indicator wasn't bottomed out. Long day today I guess. Sorry about that.

When I get a chance I'll warm up the mill then check again. I'm not expecting amazing numbers, as long as they're the same or better than my old collets I'm fine. Just happy they're not sprung closed.

Hey, you guys are supposed to speak up & tell me whenever I don't make sense! :D

My understanding these days is that TMX and Bison are separate companies, so although their products are very similar, they are not the same. The TMX line is slightly less expensive but I have heard that they have more QC issues with regard to fit/finish. Not sure Bison R8 collets are available in the US, they all seem to be branded TMX. Crawford R8 collets are still available in the UK, I have a few with almost unmeasurable run out. I also have a set of the older Lyndex R8 collets which have good fit/finish and very low run out. The Crawford's are around $12 a piece. Older NOS Lyndex R8 collets comes up on eBay, side by side Crawfords are nicer. Current production Lyndex are expensive.

Back