To clean and repaint, where to stop?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My B'port clone has been patiently waiting. My new shop is 'almost' done, and I'm planning on what to do in the very near future. Up front on the list is to get this clone in service. My original plan was to tear it all down, remove the paint, rebuild with new parts as needed (I know it needs spindle bearings) and stop short of scraping the ways. Now.......I'm not so sure.

My biggest question is about repainting. Do I or don't I, and if so to what extent?

On one hand taking her down to bare cast and repainting to look new sounds like a good thing to do. I will already have it apart, and will have to clean it up and replace parts anyway, might as well repaint. On the other hand, stripping all the paint and having to fix the casting smooth then painting is a pretty daunting task.

In my mind my choices come down to 3 options:
  1. tear it down, clean all the swarf, replace parts as needed, move to correct location and reassemble
  2. tear it down, clean the swarf, clean the existing paint of oil/dirt, spot putty paint gouges to make smooth, paint over existing paint, replace parts, move and reassemble
  3. tear it down, clean the swarf, strip to bare casting, body filler, smooth, repaint, replace parts move and assemble
I know I might be happier with #3, but I'm wondering if the extra trouble is worth it. Then I think to myself, then why paint it at all.

I'm really looking for suggestions and past experience. Talk me out of or into one of these?

This is what I'm starting with. Also, FWIW, I have an 8x28 round column mill to use so I'm not without a mill while rebuilding anything.

20201013_141321.jpg

I always tear my machines down to clean and repair and then just paint it with Rustoleum Smoke Gray and a brush after re-assembly. Function over form.... but, a coat of new paint makes them look a lot nicer and it inspires me to keep it clean!

Ted

Option number 2, there is lots of good paint left, just clean the parts with missing paint, add filler, sand all over and repaint, I have done this on many machines, one thing 'tho, spot putty is quits soft and easily nicked up, use bondo first and then sand/shape and touch up with spot putty.
No rattle can paint, no Rustoleum use two part automotive paint for the best job.

I do repaint my machines when I go through them. It is just my preference, but if I put the effort in to make it look like a decent machine I'm more likely to value it, take care of it, etc. It is also a bit easier to clean them up (chips, swarf, coolant, ...) when they have a decent coat of paint on them. I don't strip them all the way down, just get the grease and loose paint off, and put a coat of paint on. Then if I look at it and decide I want it to look even better, I'll putty in some of the defects after the first coat and put another coat on. Often that is done in strategic sections rather than the complete machine.

@Investigator - One possible factor in making your decision is not just "what will please you," but whether or not you plan to sell the mill (and when). In general, a "pretty" machine will sell better than an ugly one. So you'll have some kind of (partial) return on your investment in time and materials.

Speaking for myself only, after a good cleaning, I'd give it enough touch-up paint to protect the metal surfaces, then USE it. YMMV.

Back