To clean and repaint, where to stop?

Well, to be really honest -
A dog would lift his leg to mark the tool as his. I like to think painting it is a bit more cultured way of taking ownership ;)

very sweet looking. Not my favorite year..
I had a 67 SS hiden headlights, rag top...
But 69 was my favorite after the 67.. I hated the brakes in the 67.. put in an el-camino set of discs.
But mine was a sleeper by comparison... that's just stunning looking at that little bit..
My tongue is hanging out

very sweet looking. Not my favorite year..
I had a 67 SS hiden headlights, rag top...
But 69 was my favorite after the 67.. I hated the brakes in the 67.. put in an el-camino set of discs.
But mine was a sleeper by comparison... that's just stunning looking at that little bit..
My tongue is hanging out
Thanks! I built it over about a four year time period. The car had a five page spread in Chevy high performance magazine back in 2010.

Whatever makes us happy should be the goal. I've restored a bunch of machines, woodworking and metal and use some that only a blind Mother could stand to look at. Over the years i have only a few rules. If the machine isn't rare or valuable, first get it in mechanical shape and decide on the cosmetic later ( code for probably never ). The take it down to bare and redo the whole thing is for the rare and top end machines and mechanical gets as much or more attention than the cosmetic. I'll do a full deal on a Wadkin, Robinson, Whitney, Monarch, Smart Brown, Holbrook, etc. The machine might end up being mediocre if I guess wrong but the risk reward thing appeals more to me than starting with an average quality machine. Even then my restores are not concours level like a Jack Forsberg or Mark Hennebury but they are better than factory. I admire those who take machines to another level, providing the mechanical is improved as much as the cosmetic. I also admire those who do as little as needed and have so much skill it doesn't matter. I just do whatever I feel the machine deserves and gives me the warm and fuzzies when I use it. The downside is I spend more time working equipment than I do wood or metal. Dave

I also admire those who do as little as needed and have so much skill it doesn't matter.
I worked with a guy that was like that with his machinist tool box. Man his tools were a cluttered up mess and really triggered my OCD. But he was an extremely good machinist and I learned alot from him.

Back