Tool and cutter grinder build

This is part of my post on another site. A few made mention (repeatedly) about how fast my grinder build progresses. The comments were not made in a demeaning or hurtful way, but gave me pause to express myself on the topic, hopefully in a humorous way as none of this upsets me but on the contrary I find this amusing and post it hoping you find it as entertaining as I have.

On another note. it has been “referred” to in several places about the time span of how quick my build takes.( at a couple places on the web) I have found in my research before I started, these grinders have attained an “art” status. I have seen many Qourn and Bonelle grinders that are what us old guys call “hanger queens”. They are beautiful and would work but have never ground a single tool because of the “what, why my grinder would get dirty” mentality. They even have shows for these things! Can you believe that! I have seen some that are all polished to perfection and stunning in their beauty and they took exceptionally long periods of time to build to this level of perfection. But that does not make them function better. I set out to build a tool grinder because I NEED one, and it does not have to reach the level of beauty some of these have. I need to sharpen cutters. I say this not to ruffle anyone's feathers or stir anything up, but to merely point out, yes my build is kind of quick and for a reason. I need to sharpen cutters. It is that simple. I am not on a time line or schedule. I am retired and do what I like at a pace I like when I like. again, simple. Also, I built most of my machine from my scrap ..... er , I mean inventory box to keep the cost down. I did not have an unlimited supply of ideal material to work with. One chap wrote to me on the subject of my " Chinese" water pump motor to run my spindle. I thought it an excellent solution to an expensive problem. He in no uncertain terms said , " I would not subject my Quorn to anything such as that! ( three people from that same group have bought the same pump, wrote me saying they got the pump sawed off and ask me for details to make it work for their grinder. ( I'm still laughing about that .... and I posted the needed photos and information.)

I do what I want, how I want , when I want after all , I am retired. This is how I roll an where I come from.

Mark,

There are a lot of good people on the 'net, and many are here. There are also the pompous, self-absorbed (I'm right...just ask me and I'll tell you) buffoons that habit pretty much any place people gather. You speak of other forums. I wouldn't join most of them if you paid me. Many wouldn't have me anyway, because I don't have a 60-70 year old antique in my garage and proclaiming loudly that it the best thing since sliced bread. (members of the Earth is Flat Society?) Anyway, my intent is not to pick on anyone, nor dissect opinions because we all know what those are. So the heck (had to clean that up) with all of them. As you said, you do what you want, when you want. I am of a similar mindset. I enjoy discourse on a variety of subjects (heck, I'm a Mensan and none I know have fewer than three opinions on any given subject, but I digress...) but bristle when someone who I don't know nor have any way to quantify their opinion/background, starts telling me I have to do something 'their' way.

Ignore them. I used to get angry at some of this noise, but now I try to be on my best behavior for the sake of civility on this forum, and am getting better at it all the time. And I agree with the amusement perspective: It's easier to smile and move on. That and I'm more interested right now in watching you put this grinder to use so I can see how it's utilized. :)

Back to the grinder: Mark, I noticed you are using a rather long 5/8" bar to mount the toolhead. Others I have seen use a bar barely long enough to mount it. Do you know what the difference is and why? Just thinking the shorter bar would be much more stable/rigid is all.

I can help here Bill. The short mounts are OK with the exception that they limit the length of tool you can grind with them Stability is the same with either short or long. By using the longer bar you can position the Work head further from the wheel head. You are actually extending the range .

Mark, they're not building it you are. You owe them no answer. I wonder what they would say about the Die-Filer. It will be done in two more weeks. :)

"Billy G"

I can help here Bill. The short mounts are OK with the exception that they limit the length of tool you can grind with them Stability is the same with either short or long. By using the longer bar you can position the Work head further from the wheel head. You are actually extending the range .

Mark, they're not building it you are. You owe them no answer. I wonder what they would say about the Die-Filer. It will be done in two more weeks. :)

"Billy G"

Bill,

You are almost 100% correct. The length of the bar does not matter. A 6 inch bar flexes just a slight bit more out on the end than choked up close only because the distance multiplies the flex if the machine. The bar doesn't really flex. The majority of the flex is not the bar, but the stacked components of the machine. I really didn't mean to create a controversy as much as it did surprise me and like someone else said, " all machines flex some". And I figure there are many grinders that the owners have been grinding tools for along time successfully not knowing this problem even existed. I guess it's just like when I can see my lathe compound flexing taking a heavy cut, I work around it.

Back to the grinder: Mark, I noticed you are using a rather long 5/8" bar to mount the toolhead. Others I have seen use a bar barely long enough to mount it. Do you know what the difference is and why? Just thinking the shorter bar would be much more stable/rigid is all.

Those who have a 2 inch bar also have a 6 inch bar in the drawer. I just slide the holder up or back. What hangs out the back is irrelevant.

The spindle is the last major component left to build and I will start it as soon as I get in the mood to build it. Meanwhile, I am working on the little details.( they never seem to end). It will be warm today and pleasant to work in the shop. I think maybe I will stamp some numbers on the little rotary table base. I was thinking about just stamping the four zeros around it every 90 degrees. I don't see a big importance for the other numbers cause I learned to count . And besides if the angle has to be exact, I will use an indicator anyway.

I am absolutely ecstatic!!!!! It has been killing me that my tool holder spindle was so far out. So, this morning I stepped back and thought, did some checks with the indicator, put it in the lathe and recut the Collet taper. When reassembled, there is no detectable end play and .0005" run out!!!!!!
IT AIN'T GONNA GET NO BETTER THAN THAT!

Back