Tool and cutter grinder build

YES INDEED, as it has already been mentioned, I also may not be competent enough to make your tool sharpener, but through out your build, I have learned a great deal from you and others, which I can apply to other less complicated machining projects. I came to this forum to learn and I have never been disappointed.

BUT......as my colleague ( wrmiller19) says, " where are the details for this precision drill sharpener" ?
Go to the website " gadgetbuilder.com" . John Moran, who I believe is a member here has much of the information on his site. What else needed he will most likely help you with if you ask. I love this grinder and can't say enough good about it. It does an excellent , professional job sharpening drills and they perform better than a new one. It is not difficult to build, just hold all tolerances as close as possible and you will end up with a valuable tool of excellent quality. If you decide to build one let me know and I help any way I can.

Mark, thanks for the info. I went to the web site "Gadget builder" lots of info there, saw your drill grinder among others, really motivated to make one now.
I can sharpen a drill by hand reasonably well but by the time I get it right, I've lost 20% of its length! .........so I take my drills to work and use the "Drill Doctor" .....at best it is hit and miss.
Glad to hear that you are home, take it easy.
Kind regards Basil

Mark, thanks for the info. I went to the web site "Gadget builder" lots of info there, saw your drill grinder among others, really motivated to make one now.
I can sharpen a drill by hand reasonably well but by the time I get it right, I've lost 20% of its length! .........so I take my drills to work and use the "Drill Doctor" .....at best it is hit and miss.
Glad to hear that you are home, take it easy.
Kind regards Basil

Once you sharpen a drill on this grinder, unless you break it, you only grind a few thousandths off to resharpen. If I have a broken drill, I grind it close by hand and then finish on the machine.
This machine makes a precision drill bit that makes a good finish in the hole, and they don't walk very much or very easy. They will also be very close to on size, because of the accuracy of the drill bit point.

I'm curious how small you can/could sharpen with this? With proper collets could #80 drill bits be sharpened.

I'm curious how small you can/could sharpen with this? With proper collets could #80 drill bits be sharpened.
In theory, yes, but being practical, it is hard to see the point that small. I don't sharpen any smaller than 1/16". I simply replace bits smaller than that because they are inexpensive. To sharpen the tiny bits, I would use the small hand held honing fixture like John describes on his website.

That is where lopes and magnifiers come into play
Nelson

It's amazing to me what I forget. Once you mentioned John's site I remembered it from earlier in the thread and that was what I was really after.

Nearly forgot to compliment on finished product and build rate. Both are very impressive.

Well, the postman came today and brought a package I had ordered quite some time ago. The supplier of the Quorn castings was liquidating some castings, so I ordered the oversized casting to make the tool holder for the grinder. It came today so Doctor's or not, I will be returning to the shop to make a new tool holder capable of grinding the flutes on end mills. image.jpeg
This is the cast iron blank I just got. I will be machining the faces and bores , but must figure out how to get a good sliding fit for the spindle so it can slide and grind flutes. Any suggestions are welcomed. The spindle will hold 5C collets. Since I only have the one casting , I only got one chance to get this right. I wanted to use an air bearing but the $400 price tag makes that an option I can't do. I built that nice grinder and now it is time to make all the accessories needed to grind various cutters. So, keep watching this space, and hopefully we'll see some new projects here.

Back