Tool geometry for machining rubber

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hi again

I know somewhere on this forum there has been referred to tool geomatry for machining rubber on the lathe,but I can't seem to find it,and I will keep looking,but in the meantime, can someone help me with this via pics or anything to point me in the right direction please?

Thank you.
Michael

Success in machining rubber depends greatly on the durometer of the rubber. A hard rubber like a hockey puck machines fairly well but softer rubbers are almost impossible to machine. Generally, the colder the rubber is, the easier it is to machine. Razor sharp tools with a high rake will help.

Success in machining rubber depends greatly on the durometer of the rubber. A hard rubber like a hockey puck machines fairly well but softer rubbers are almost impossible to machine. Generally, the colder the rubber is, the easier it is to machine. Razor sharp tools with a high rake will help.
I dont have it in hand now,but I think it is about 250mm diameter and it is something like a wheelbarrow wheel.

Years ago, I machined a rubber friction element (from a turntable); it worked adequately, because the rubber
part was cemented to a metal hub, and I could dip it in liquid nitrogen then do a lathe pass before it warmed up.

Make a mold and cast it? You can get silicone rubber casting compound in a wide range of durometer values.

This is the best tool I've found for machining rubber on a lathe.

View attachment 469137
I quite agree, grinding is the best way to deal with rubber, I have done it on a cylindrical grinder with coolant, it worked well, and also have done it in the lathe with tools that were shaped like a thin blunt knife, used inline with the axis, not radially. In grinding rubber, the wheel needs to be fairly coarse grit and dressed quite roughly.

Back