Tool Gloat #1

RWL

Active User
Registered
I picked up this little dental kiln (aka a small heat treat furnace) at a yard sale for $5 last week. The pyrometer is not working, so I ordered a new digital one from eBay. The analog one on the furnace is labeled to 1800º. I never measured the temp when I did the few hardening projects I did before - just eyeballed the glow - so I don't know if 1800º is hot enough, but I suspect so. The temp control is pretty simple - just low medium and high.
18 Huppert Dental Kiln (Large).JPG19 Kiln door open (Large).JPG20 Kiln maker's plate (Large).JPG

18 Huppert Dental Kiln (Large).JPG 19 Kiln door open (Large).JPG 20 Kiln maker's plate (Large).JPG

Hey, wait-aah-minit... You are supposed to return it to RH Ruppert and Co in Chicago, not fix it yourself! It says it plain as day!
:)

Bernie

If it really gets up to 1800, you can do everything you need as most common steels have austentizing temperatures around 1550. Most of the common tool steels need 1750 (all approximate numbers, please look it up when you use it. Missing the mark by 25-50 degrees is bad). Some of the more complicated tool steels like M2 require a very high temp -over 2000 if memory serves...

Good find!

Ray

I picked up this little dental kiln (aka a small heat treat furnace) at a yard sale for $5 last week. The pyrometer is not working, so I ordered a new digital one from eBay. The analog one on the furnace is labeled to 1800º. I never measured the temp when I did the few hardening projects I did before - just eyeballed the glow - so I don't know if 1800º is hot enough, but I suspect so. The temp control is pretty simple - just low medium and high.
View attachment 56846View attachment 56847View attachment 56848

I'm reading through a book on heat treating. Your oven should be just the ticket. Good score.

Thats a pretty fancy pyrometer, I wouldn't discount it's being fixable.
I purchased a small pottery kiln last year, and meter didn't seem to be working, and it just needed to be taken apart and had all the grit cleaned out of it.

Nice score on the unit!!
PS... YOU SUCK ...$5 really, you thief! :tiphat:

I've been looking for a reasonably priced heat treat furnace for a while now.

$5 fits that bill to a tee!

Wanna triple your money?:))

I may have saved the email address of someone local to me who had a rather nice furnace that he only wanted $100 for. I just didn't have space for it. IIRC it was at least twice the size of this one; not something like this one that I can easily pick up and put on a shelf. I don't know if he still has it, but if you're within reasonable driving distance of Selinsgrove, PA and are interested I'll do some looking to see if I still have the email address and whether he still has it. My guess is that unless someone else bought it (didn't sound like he had any other takers at the time) or he just junked it (he wanted the space) it may still be around.

dang that is cheap! I paid 20$ for this little muffle furnace 20 years ago.

muffurnace01.JPG

1800F should be good for anything other than HSS. Nice score.

So many slippery slopes on this forum. According to the label, that unit is only 880 watts. A toaster oven like mine has four elements totaling 1500 watts. If I made a good insulated chamber and added a pyrometer, maybe tweaked (or replaced) the thermostat, I could come up with a workable furnace. Off to Value Village...

Like I said, slippery slopes.

Back