Tool Gloats! What did you buy? We wanna see it!

OK, one more. I went to an estate sale last year to look at a heat-treat oven. It was already gone, but I looked around and found a minilathe. It was the nicest I had ever seen. It looked like a new Micromark ($600) with many upgrades, including anodize handwheels, leadscrew handwheel, ball-bearings leadscrew supports, QCTP. It came with every accessory available for them except the milling attachment. Steady and follow-rests were the ball-bearing type. Collet setup, etc. I later totaled up $1600 in replacement cost, not including the spare parts - screws, bushings etc. "How much for the lathe?". $400.
e14a78ab.jpg
85f1c274.jpg0c507cf3.jpg
Oh yeah, he threw in a brand new Shooting Star BT2 DRO setup, scales and all ($600) :eek:

I also bought a like-new Jet 4x6 bandsaw for $35, and a hand tapper for $15. I wish I had bought all the steel, brass, and AL meta stock he had - $20 for all. But I already had the wife's Lincoln SUV loaed down, and did not want to press my luck ;)

Turns out the guy was selling everything he had and relocating to Tahiti.

Here's that $100 South Bend all cleaned up and mounted on the bench that came with it.. I don't think I am going to paint it.

dd32f0f7.jpg
efbfc370.jpg

I just need to pull the spindle and the countershaft pulley to install a new micro-vee belt.
Not looking forward to removing the spindle.

AR1911,
Go to HF and buy a link belt and install it in 2 min., no need to glue or remove spindle. Oil it up and make some chips and see how it does. My SB looks like yours except for 20 lbs. of rust and a lot more dollars for mine. Mine is apart now for cleaning and paint.
Paul

You know, i bought a linkbelt to use on my Logan, and sold the lathe without changing it.
So those run OK on a flat pulley?
Which side do you place toward the sheave ?

AR1911,
The link belt flat side toward the flat pulley, watch direction, go with the flow of the belt if that makes any sense.
Paul

Well I'll just try that. thanks for the suggestion

Picked up a die filer for $50 last weekend. It was a little tiight but a half dozen drops of oil made it purr like a kitten. Only problem is finding replacement files for it.

that die-filer is cool. Can you se hand files with it, or do they take a special mount?

I wish I could find a die filer around here.....I'm not sure too many locals know what one is! I may just build one from scratch.

Back