Tool grind fixture

Here you go Frank. This was one of my older projects. I had an Atlas 618, and then my cousin gave me this lathe. It’s a 1939 South Bend 9” model C. The bed looks banged up as hell but the headstock and spindle are cast iron on cast iron bearings and I have to tell you, after 80 years... that spindle is immaculate. Just a mirror finish. And the lathe holds its accuracy pretty damned good in my opinion.
But, the apron was shot to ****. And since I needed a new apron, I figured why not upgrade it to a A. That turned out a bit too complicated so I just went with a C to a B.
Anyway, it’s kind of sitting at m house and not used much only because I don’t have the space. But being the pack rat I am....I can’t get rid of it. Maybe one day it’ll be set up as a dedicated metric threading lathe...or even a grinding plus metric threader.
But...enough fluff. Here’s the link of my upgrade. It was a lot of work, but lathes don’t show up often down here. Plus, I was impatient and don’t mind working. I like to work.

Last edited:
By the way Frank. I remember when I was attempting this project, the best video I could find on the subject of a South Bend B to A conversion was a three part video by Haligan. His videos are pretty good. I’m not crazy about the music at the beginning of them, but hey... being different is what makes the world go round. He’s a good machinist and gives good instructions in my opinion.

But, it’s a lot of work and I just figured I’d use my model B and when I get fed up....if ever....I could make the next step. FWIW....my fortunes also changed. I wanted a longer bed lathe and drove to Houston to buy a Model A 4-1/2’ 444z SB lathe. It was for sale cheap because it tipped over while moving it. I then rebuilt it....going through the QCGB...brazing cracked levers for QCGB.....and a number of other repairs.
Low and behold....less than a month later an estate sale showed up. A well tooled identical 444Z SB on a very nice steel bench. Belonged to a 100 y/o retired machinist. Pretty well kept. Price was fair so I purchased it. I need to sell one of these 4-1/2’ SB’s.....but all in due time. I want to make sure the headstock and other parts are good before I sell one of them. Anyway....here’s Halligan’s YouTube video

I found this conversion to be all too complex and iffy, also time consuming, so I’m thinking I’ll just stick with gear changes manually and live with the extra effort. It’s not often I have to cut threads on the lathe. I have a 5/16 “geometric Head” for my turret lathe and a large variety of dies. Most all the thread sizes and leads I need for my small shop use up to now.
I’m working on to many other projects to start another. Thanks for your input it has been helpful putting things in to proper perspective !

Back