Tool grind fixture

The drawings and construction of the magazines home made surface grinder is a very simple and home made project. My intention is to improve on the design by upgrading to ball screws and dovetail ways among other things. The basic design has merit as a shop made bench top grinder for the average home shop machinist. However the concept and execution along with other improvements will produce a very nice machine for passing down to my progeny. My focus is not on making a production machine but a personal project I can be proud to pass on to upcoming machinists just as we all do with shop made tooling and fixtures. In all my 60 plus years in the trade I hope to leave something behind to be remembered by besides my tools and fixtures, I am after all past the prime of life at 82 ! I do appreciate the input from all you gentlemen who have expressed your opinion and offered advice.
I am a newbie in this chat room age and wish I had started earlier. Thanks again!

Very cool. I like it. Are all the drawings in that issue or are there multiple issues needed. I’d like to get back issues of that project. It does look simple.

Very cool. I like it. Are all the drawings in that issue or are there multiple issues needed. I’d like to get back issues of that project. It does look simple.
All the drawings are spread out in I believe 3 mag’s, but you can probably build it by the dwg’s in the first one by reading between the lines. It’s a pretty simple build.

The drawings and construction of the magazines home made surface grinder is a very simple and home made project. My intention is to improve on the design by upgrading to ball screws and dovetail
The drawings and construction of the magazines home made surface grinder is a very simple and home made project. My intention is to improve on the design by upgrading to ball screws and dovetail ways among other things. The basic design has merit as a shop made bench top grinder for the average home shop machinist. However the concept and execution along with other improvements will produce a very nice machine for passing down to my progeny. My focus is not on making a production machine but a personal project I can be proud to pass on to upcoming machinists just as we all do with shop made tooling and fixtures. In all my 60 plus years in the trade I hope to leave something behind to be remembered by besides my tools and fixtures, I am after all past the prime of life at 82 ! I do appreciate the input from all you gentlemen who have expressed your opinion and offered advice.
I am a newbie in this chat room age and wish I had started earlier. Thanks again!
ys among other things. The basic design has merit as a shop made bench top grinder for the average home shop machinist. However the concept and execution along with other improvements will produce a very nice machine for passing down to my progeny. My focus is not on making a production machine but a personal project I can be proud to pass on to upcoming machinists just as we all do with shop made tooling and fixtures. In all my 60 plus years in the trade I hope to leave something behind to be remembered by besides my tools and fixtures, I am after all past the prime of life at 82 ! I do appreciate the input from all you gentlemen who have expressed your opinion and offered advice.
I say it’s never too late Frank. Keeps our minds and bodies young and healthy in my opinion.

I say it’s never too late Frank. Keeps our minds and bodies young and healthy in my opinion.
You are right on that account ! I hope to go another 10 or more if I can and be productive.

This is what I am working on right now, altho I have to change the width of the “Y” axis rails, they (I think are too narrow) seem too short to prevent “X” axis from deflection vertically at the extreme travel. Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• 0C240581-672A-4A2B-922A-12A2E79D9001.jpeg
    0C240581-672A-4A2B-922A-12A2E79D9001.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
I posted a drawing of the, in process drawing, of my generation of a bench top that I’m working on. All of the rails are taken from the collection of junk accumulated over the last 30 years. Some may need to be modified but that will be relatively easy to do ! The side plates will be 3/8” cold roll plate water jetted to size. I’m now working on the layout of vertical slide and screw feed. Should be done with the drawing modifications soon and can start physical modifications on the slides and frame parts. I plan to use all steel in the construction, and will try to make sure the frame is ridged as possible using crossmembers and corner bracing. What are your thoughts ?

Here is a pic of the mag front cover.
I'll be darned. I thought that magazine cover looked familiar so I went through my box of old HSM magazines and there it was!

HSM also ran a 2-part series about building a 4-facet drill sharpening tool. You can read about it here -- about halfway down the (long) page. Unfortunately, only one of the magazines in that series is still available as a back issue. I got that one and discovered it also has an installment of a very good series on scraping. The photos and description on the web site probably are good enough for a creative machinist to make their own.

You can read about that here here.
That’s a very informative site, I have seen it in the past but never bookmarked it, which I have done now ! What is your take on the “X” axis rod width. Do they need to be wider to prevent deflection? Also wondering if you have found the ”Home Shop Machinist” articles I referred to ? They were May/June, July/August, and September/October all 2006. Oops, you already answered the question on the Home Shop Mag’s sorry !

Back