Tool Holding

dabear3428

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
i have a small grizzly mill G0758 with R8 spindle are R8 collets good for holding end mills? any limitations I should be aware of?

I've read that some prefer the dedicated EM holders with locking/set screws to hold them snug - I use R8's with no issues, but I am just a hobby machinist and not professional,,,,

I've read that some prefer the dedicated EM holders with locking/set screws to hold them snug - I use R8's with no issues, but I am just a hobby machinist and not professional,,,,
thanks, are there and pitfalls i should be aware of?

Endmills in R8 collets can slip under heavy load. This usually occurs with larger end mills and heavy cuts. In most situations slipping won't be an issue. I use a system known as TTS where tooling is mounted in a tool holder that has a 3/4" shank that seats in a 3/4" R8 collet. I have only experience slipping a few times in the past 12 years. Usually, this is a result of not tightening the drawbar sufficiently..

Endmills in R8 collets can slip under heavy load. This usually occurs with larger end mills and heavy cuts. In most situations slipping won't be an issue. I use a system known as TTS where tooling is mounted in a tool holder that has a 3/4" shank that seats in a 3/4" R8 collet. I have only experience slipping a few times in the past 12 years. Usually, this is a result of not tightening the drawbar sufficiently..
good to know, my g0758 cannot deal with large endmills (1/2" max) so i should be ok. thanks for the info

At work we use R8 collets for up to 3/4 EM's, bigger use Weldon holders.
Yep , up to 3/4s you should be fine . I cracked a few 7/8" collets when pushing them pretty hard in the past . ( I see you moved north a bit Jim ) . Love the drive thru those mountains ! :encourage:

Yep , up to 3/4s you should be fine . I cracked a few 7/8" collets when pushing them pretty hard in the past . ( I see you moved north a bit Jim ) . Love the drive thru those mountains ! :encourage:
Yep, you can see my place from NB 15.

Back