Tool of the Day

Okay, it's a new day! I came up with a couple more:

Jonard screw starters. These little tools are guaranteed to lower blood pressure 10 points and reduce alcohol consumption by half.
IMAG0866.jpg

Coincidentally also from the Jonard catalog are these spring sets. Good for installing, removing, and adjusting of springs... Whenever you see mechanicals that look like the inside of a Sony Walkman or a disk drive, these are the tools you'd use to set the springs.
IMAG0868.jpg

My last tool of the day is a real aha! find for me. I've always used crappy import dental picks that are too fat at the points, hard to hold, and made of metal as soft as cheddar cheese. That's one on top. I finally had an opportunity to get my hands on some real deal dental hardware while the dentist was distracted. This stuff is nice. Made in USA, hardened 440 stainless tools swaged into big, grippy barrels. They're great tools, so if you have a chance, snag some from your dentist. It's hard to feel guilty when you see how much they bill your insurance.
IMAG0869.jpg

I think I posted I posted this in the What Did You Buy Today thread when I got it. I only learned about these last year so it's unique to me. Oring gauge for sizing orings. Never knew these existed & would have saved me headaches many times over. There are also cone shaped type gauges but they are limited in size range & can take up a lot of space. This thing actually works quite well & covers up to much larger sizes than I'll ever need.

The end has slots for determining thickness. Loop the oring on the appropiate ears, extend the gauge out until the sides of the oring pulls parallel then read the size indicated.

20200308_163853.jpg20200308_163928.jpg

Pair of Starrett plumb bobs — would you call that a “brace of bobs” ;)

D38E0331-2A8B-46F1-AF90-76D3EC55E570.jpeg

Both steel and about 5-1/2” long, the one on the right weighs in at 283 grams, the one on the left 330 grams. And the extra weight isn’t because of the line. The hollow body is threaded with a plug about halfway down, and below the plug is the compartment filled with liquid mercury. You can feel it slosh back and forth when you rock the bob, and I always imagine if James Bond ever needed a plumb bob it would be the one with a secret pocket full of mercury!

AB1F79CD-F713-4D5C-8FBF-0CDE013EA6A9.jpeg

-frank

What do you think this 'Speetol' tool is for?
It is some sort of clamp.
It has been hanging up on my workshop wall for years.

View attachment 327172
View attachment 327173
View attachment 327174
Closest thing I've got to that is a set of clamps for holding two sheets of metal together for welding. the thin strip gives the sheets about the right gap for penetration. Yours looks like ir could do the same for curved pieces. Can the bladed part be taken out of the body?

Closest thing I've got to that is a set of clamps for holding two sheets of metal together for welding.
Yes, I also have got those type of clamps. I don't think the bladed part can be removed? I will have another look at the tool today. Mike

Yes, I also have got those type of clamps. I don't think the bladed part can be removed? I will have another look at the tool today. Mike
I think that is a butt joint clamp for 90 degree joints. If it doesn't come apart, then you would have to move it as you go. It may not be useful for a 6" joint, but it sure would help when trying to keep a 3' joint aligned!

Rainy day in Oregon so no outdoor projects - here are my TOTD contributions in the 'hand grinder' class:

This is a 'Dental Engine" used by denturists. Belt driven from a motor unit, incredibly handy and much better than a Dremel, Foredom or other hand held grinding tool as you can use it like a pencil and get your hand/fingers really close to the business end - almost like using a 'grinding pencil'.

DentalEngine_1.jpg

And a closer view of the 'user interface'DentalEngine_2.jpg

I also have a small electrically driven manicurist's grinder that is slightly more awkward to use and grossly underpowered - found on eBay for about 30 bucks:
HandGrinder_8.jpg

Both use the same 3/32" shaft grinding and sanding burrs:
HandGrinder_9.jpg

Durn! I can recall the first couple of times I went to a dentist as a kid. He had one of those belt driven "drills." Fantastic set of articulated joints.

As for "rainy day in Oregon," that's almost a redundancy (sez a former resident of Corvallis) ;~)

Back