Tool post grinder questions

BenW

Registered
Registered
Howdy. I'm designing a simple toolpost grinder based on 2 tapered roller bearings I have. My main question is what type of seal to choose and, related to that, what rpm I should shoot for. The bearings are skf 32004 X (wheel bearings I think) And I'm planning on using an er straight shank chuck as the spindle body. Are the bearings good enough/ the right-ish size for this application. It's of course a hobbyist-level grinder and I don't plan on pushing it too hard/running dremel bits at 30k rpm. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You should use angular contact ball bearings with non metallic separators for a grinding spindle, and a precision grade of bearing at that; definitely not tapered roller bearings. Seals are generally not used on grinding spindles, just a laberinth clearance fit with the housing.

The following book from SKF has information on spindle bearings starting page 7.

Attachments

• MRC Bearings for Machine Tools.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 10
Depends on how much you want to spend..............from $10 for a SKF ball to $1000 for a precision spindle .............As mentioned ,dont use taper rollers.....they will have runout in every direction in standard grade................I have often found SKF,Koyo,Naachi,good quality (non Chinese) balls have near zero measurable runout.........endload with a light spring ,or manually adjust ,if you prefer.

Back