Tool post input needed?

blaser.306

Active User
Registered
I just bought a kc1022ml lathe and am looking to upgrade the tool post on it, my question is. What is the better style of locking system as far as ridgidity and repeatability. Wedge or piston. Thanks in advance.

The wedge style is perfered my most. However the piston style is fine on lighter duty lathes.

I have used both wedge and piston types.
The wedge is a little more expensive and does hold more solidly than the piston type.
For smaller lathes, i really can't see paying the extra expense of the wedge type
I really don't think the average Joe could tell the difference in operation.
Of course, those more than hobby minded may wish to consider the heavier wedge type, but the piston type will work just about as good in most situations.
my 2 cents, anyway.

the phase II Wedge type was actually a few dollars cheaper than the piston type at ENCO.
They had -30% off everything, yesterday, but I think it's over.
I would just get the Wedge, if you get the piston, you will say "I wonder if I should have got the wedge"?

In previous posts that asked the same question, I can say that I HAD a piston post, it was of poor quality so the tool holder would rock on first contact with the work. I sold that one off and got a wedge style and was finally happy. I got mine off an auction site seller for about $150 w/ shipping to Canada. I ordered more holders from Busybeetools on a sale price.
I bought the AXA size for my 10" Atlas and when i sold that one I shifted it over to my clone of a Jet BDB-1340. The tool holder is in the middle of travel so I do not need the BXA. The AXA will be the proper size for your King1022.
Pierre

Thanks for all the replies! I was already leaning towards the wedge type anyway but this just helped confirm it! I am now just awaiting a reply from King Canada regarding the compound slide on my lathe ( not getting any help from the distributor and I am not very happy about it:*****slap2: ) as there is no "t" slot machined into the compound itself and the current tool holder is just drilled and tapped directly into the top? Not to mention that the mounting stud is bent? Hopefully I get some resolution to these matters .This is making me anxious , Now I have a lathe and cannot use it!!!

I've used quite a few of both piston and wedge type over the years, and honestly I can't tell you for sure that the wedge is really superior, at least in the name brand posts. Might be true on many of the import clones, but really not a noticeable difference in the two in the "good" ones. If you are leaning towards the wedge, I don't think you will be wrong, in any case, but especially if you are looking at the lower cost imports.

I have both in my shop, and have no preference. And they're on larger than average for hobby machines, so if there were a real difference in rigidity or repeatability, I think I would notice. I do push them fairly hard too.

I have an Aloris AXA piston type on my Crafteman 101.07403 12" lathe and have no problems with it. I have also used a Phase II CXA on a 16" x 48" engin lathe at work and dever had a problem with it eather.

I also prefer wedge, lock up just seems to feel better. I have a Dorian Wedge Lock SQCTP. I used an import piston before & it felt like junk, very sloppy. I have also used Armstrong pistons & they worked well, again lock didn't feel as great as a wedge but it worked perfectly fine.

Back