Tool post lock nut and handle

Rangerjoe2

Active User
Registered
I've been wanting to make a lock nut with handle for my tool post for awhile now. Seems like I'm always looking for the wrench when I need it. I made the body out of 4140, the handle out of mild sreel, and the knob out of brass. I blued the body and handle to help prevent rust.

20141227_170704.jpg 20141227_170641.jpg

Very nice. I did this a while back, very useful accessory.

Real nice work! Bluing is a form of rust, or controlled oxidation if you will. Parts seem to rust faster when I cold blue them. Hot bluing might be a different story though.

I've done the same but have used 1 & 1/2" hex bar from off cuts of truck wheel nuts steel whatever grade that is . I've left it hexagonal just incase I ever do need to give it a slight tweek up with a spanner.

I'm waiting for some 1/2" steel ( or greater diameter ) bar to come along , currently the arm is made from the 10 mm tensile centre bolt out of a set of mountain bike handlebars & is the full 11 inches long ( gets in the way sometimes ).
Despite calculating which face the bar would need to be inserted in having spannered it tight and marked the face , the actual fit was one flat too far back for comfort .
So I undid it and skimmed of the bottom of the nut . Now it's in the ideal position sitting just forward of the tailstock centre line .

Very nice job. Thanks for sharing. Will you tell us about the blueing process you used.

For bluing I just used cold blue that I keep around for touching up firearms or bluing parts that I make. It's Berchwood Casey's gun blue.

For bluing I just used cold blue that I keep around for touching up firearms or bluing parts that I make. It's Berchwood Casey's gun blue.

Perma or Super Blue? I've used both, I refinished dad's Crosman 760 (Self cocking Powermaster variant), both the barrel and main tube. I can't stop the rust, even paste wax doesn't keep rust at bay. Your bluing is very nice for cold blue! Would you mind sharing your bluing secrets? I've never gotten cold blue that dark and even.

Perma or Super Blue? I've used both, I refinished dad's Crosman 760 (Self cocking Powermaster variant), both the barrel and main tube. I can't stop the rust, even paste wax doesn't keep rust at bay.

Have you tried Parkerizing?

Back