Tool shank rework?

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Now that I have the boring head I need a way to mount it in my mill (it has a 1" straight shank). It will mount in the lathe in my QCTP as is but not the mill. Should I make a second shank in MT2 or will a tool holder such as a shell mill holder be a better option?

Charlie it depends on your mills spindle. I'm thinking yours is a R8? So make or buy an arbor to fit. Usually cheap enough for an import arbor.

Steve

Seems to me that most boring heads are screwed onto the shank. Separate yours, then measure the threaded part. Lots of suppliers can sell you the right one.

Yep I bought a boring head with an R8 arbor then figured it was easier to make one then pay 25$ for a straight shank to fit a boring bar holder as a spherical turner. I'm thinnin the arbors were all the same price.

Steve

I guess R8 would be a better choice, I was just thinking I could use it in my R8 to MT2 holder in both my BP and the tail stock of my lathe but I guess that wold be a stupid idea.

Charley

It is a 1/2 X 20 threaded shaft and I don't remember if I use a thread locker or not. But I was trieding to use it for a basll turner so I prolly did.

Paul

Charley

It is a 1/2 X 20 threaded shaft and I don't remember if I use a thread locker or not. But I was trieding to use it for a basll turner so I prolly did.

Paul

It came apart easily so I'm saving the factory shaft for using it in my QCTP on my lathe and the other end will be part od my R8 shaft I'm in the proccess of making.

Back