[How-To] Tool steel

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Amongst the flotsam and jetsam that came with the surface grinder is a piece of tool steel above 1.5” square by about 9” long.
A file just skates across the edge so I can only assume it has been hardened.
Can it be annealed so I can use it for more than a big paperweight?

Use it for set ups on the mill . Makes for a nice parallel . :encourage:

Or grind it with that SG ya just got ! :grin:

With out knowing what type of steel you are working with annealing it could be difficult. A straight high carbon steel can be heated cherry red and cooled slowly in wood ash. Air harding steel I have never had any luck annealing even with a temperature controlled oven. It may be easier to machine it as is with something like a ceramic.

David, I am not an metallurgy heat treatment expert, but I do know that heat-hardening alloys, at some stage of their existence, had to get into their "softer" state somehow, and getting them there again is a matter of following the heat treat recipe.

Like any stuff, there is a temperature it will lose that property, still short of melting. I expect if you know what is in the bar, you can find the annealing temperature recipe profile. Even not knowing, there is very likely a heat regime that will anneal a wide range of alloys. Ultimately, absolutely all can be made to melt. Carefully though. Some will chemically convert, e.g Titanium, unless heated in vaccum or inert surrounds..

Have a little experiment.
If you can grind off a small piece, perhaps using a Dremel-type little diamond disc cutter. It need only be a tiny chunk, and then try a few experiments. Try squeezing it between the sides of a couple of lathe cutter tools in a vise, and see which gets marked. Then put it in a few grams of silica (fine sand) and heat it up with torch to any crazy point you please, then throw on some more sand, heat it, and have it cool slow. Then try the squeeze again.

Pretty much any material can be processed back to any state. The question of whether it is a worthwhile thing to do, is different.

Last edited:
To un-harden the bar..
Consider a common composition for precision ground flat stock.
Carbon 0.90% - 1.00%
Manganese 1.10% - 1.30%
Chromium ? - 0.65%
Tungsten 0.45% - 0.8%
Vanadium 0.15% max

Now look at the hardening
From 780C-820C
Resulting hardness will be Rockwell C63/C64
This is what you get when quenched in oil.

Now look at the tempering
Temper for 1 hour at ..
150C to obtain Rockwell C62
200C to obtain Rockwell C60
250C " " C58
350C " " C56

You can see how it "softens" if cooked for a hour at ever higher temperatures.
It follows that if you just heated it near orange-red, and forced it to cool slowly by leaving it in (very) hot sand, it would come our soft annealed.
And - you can make it hard again after you made up whatever you like.

Some air-cooled types which do not get their hardness by entrapping a eutectic state might not comply. It takes a bit of research to discover how they started out softer. We only know they got there somehow.

Last edited:
Bottom line is that to properly anneal it, it needs to be in a controlled atmosphere to prevent decarbonization. The cost of getting it properly annealed would far exceed a new piece. Use it as a setup block, parallel, or straight edge.
Richard

Any chance it might be a piece of high speed steel? It’s pretty big, but it can be had in some pretty big sizes. If so, trying to anneal it would not be very successful.

Thanks gents, as always H-M comes through with a wealth of information.
@francist it's possible it's HSS but the edges are all broken so I think it was shop made item.
I have a few pieces of tooling that were part of the random stuff. This piece is unique in that it's just a rectangular block, the other are all machined into purpose-built shapes.

I'd check it for parallelism and consistent width, then use it as a parallel on the mill or a block/ fence on the surface grinder.

Back