Tooling For Criterion Boring Head

I'm talking about the horizontal hole. That tool will not work.

I'm talking about the horizontal hole. That tool will not work.
I'm not sure which tool you're referring to.

If referring to the tool pictured in reply #10 by @Video_man, why do you think that style won't work in the horizontal hole?
Note that the insert extends beyond both sides of the holder.

Slightly askew from the topic....I may make a tool. Has anyone ever de-soldered a piece of carbide and then re-soldered it to another shank?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rwm
@Video_man . Thanks! That takes inserts that I already use. I can easily cut it down to length.

Never used a boring head before. Will a 2 inch head only bore a 2 inch hole, or wider?

Wider. You can mount the tool in the more lateral vertical hole or have it stick out the horizontal hole. You are only limited by tool length and rigidity and maybe HP of the machine. The offset gives you fine control over diameter.

Last edited:
OK, I have another question about adjusting the offset. I read online that the dial which is calibrated in .001" increments reads in diameter. When I used mine, it definitely read out in radius. I can't believe something I read on the internet could be wrong but this appears to be the case. Can anyone confirm how the little dial thingy works???

Back