Tooling Question

papermaker

Active User
Registered
I just got home from my weekly trip to the used tool store. I picked up a jar full of new tapered end mills. They are assorted tapers from 1 -5 degrees. What are they used for?
There were 17 of the end mills for $8.00. i also picked up a 3/8" jacobs drill chuck that was mounted on 3/8" x 24 shank and a Starrett threading tool.Grand total $13.84:))

I just got home from my weekly trip to the used tool store. I picked up a jar full of new tapered end mills. They are assorted tapers from 1 -5 degrees. What are they used for?
There were 17 of the end mills for $8.00. i also picked up a 3/8" jacobs drill chuck that was mounted on 3/8" x 24 shank and a Starrett threading tool.Grand total $13.84:))

You suck! Getting to live so close to the tool barn and getting to go there every week.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Where the heck is this tool barn?? What state?! Whoh

Bernie

Typicley the typered endmills are uesr to bore holes for taper pins. Drill the small diameter hen run the mill down.

Oh and YOU SUCK.

Last edited:

The tapered end mills may have been used for injection molds. The tapers are what we were told to use for making the parts easier to remove from molds. Still a good price.

Where the heck is this tool barn?? What state?! Whoh
Bernie

Papermaker's location is Bucksport, ME and I just assumed he went to the Hulls Cove tool barn.
http://www.jonesport-wood.com/hullscove.html

Of course he is very lucky and lives halfway between Hulls Cove and The Liberty Tool Company.
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...ZlJTJDJTIwTUVfX19lXyZtb2RlPUQmcnRvcD0wfjB+MH4=

Both are great places to spend a Saturday morning or all day.

He may want to :*****slap2: me for letting everyone know about his nearby tool treasure spots.:bitingnails:

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

In regard to the "tool barn" it's actually called Liberty Tool. They have a website. The guy that owns it buys tools from all over New England. It's kind of hit or miss on the stuff he has but usually Saturday morning is the day to go but not every Saturday. He has kept me in an endless supply of end mills. Most all of my measuring tools have come from there.
Last fall for example I bought a 0-6" Brown and Sharpe micrometer set in the case with the wrenches and a 1" standard for $45. Last week I bought a 1/2" jacobs chuck with the key for $14. Huot drill indexes are another example full from 1/64" to 1/2" are $18-$20.
You need to look stuff over but you can always find some good bargains.

If you use those End Mills for taper pin holes DO NOT bring them to finish size. Leave them undersize and use a Taper Reamer to fit the pin.

"Billy G"

Tapered end mills are typically used in the mold industry for milling mold cavities, but they can be used anywhere you need an angled surface. It's much easier to grab a tapered endmill than tilt the head on your mill and then have to tram it again. I have a good assortment of angles and use them regularly, particularly in gunsmithing. Tapered end mills are not used for taper pins. Typically taper pins have a taper of 1/4" per foot and require a special reamer to generate the proper taper.

Tom

It must be nice to live close to a tool place. Anything I want or need is at least a week away by mail or if you want to pay the price a couple of days by courier. I envy you guys!!:thumbsup:

Back