Tooling up - Lathe tools

Mirage33

Registered
Registered
ok, here we go with down-to-basic questions again which are most probably going to make experienced machinists roll their eyes!
For my mini lathe, I purchased several turning/facing/boring/etc. tools. Not knowing exactly where I was going, I got several HSS tools (5/16x2.5) and some blanks to be able to grind my own (I'm not there yet...) and also a set of 3/8 tools with indexable carbide inserts.
While I was able to find online and in books a lot of information regarding HSS tools, what their are for, how to use them and how to grind them, information regarding tools with indexable carbide inserts is extremely scarce.
One thing I cannot understand (my wife would say there's way more than one...) is the purpose of each tool. There are "A", "B" and "E" versions indicating the carbide insert angle but I am not sure at all which to use for turning or facing.
As usual, any help appreciated!

Yea you gotta look them up line for line to break down their secret codes. ahaha.

I would caution you to spend time on feeds and speeds and understanding the difference between carbide and hss. If not you will likely waist alot of money on chipped, burnt, and rubbed to death carbide. I would also say you should at least grind 1 tool that works before moving on to carbide. If for no other reason then to know it can be done before you have no option but to learn it.

Thanks a lot for the link to the chart.
What I am really trying to figure out is the use of these 5 tools using carbide inserts TCMT21.51. There is a TAR, TBR, TAL, TBL and TE.
The site indicates:

• T indicates that it holds triangular inserts.
  • L & R indicate left and right hand tools. Right hand tools cut from
    right to left.
  • A indicates the insert has a zero degree side angle
  • B indicates the insert has a 15 degree side angle
  • E indicates the insert has a 30 degree side angle. In other words, the point
    is centered.

But must assume that anyine buying these must know what they are for (right!).
Let's say for turning, shoudl I use the TAR, TBR or TE? Same thing for facing, etc.?
Thanks for any help

For a small manual lathe used for maintenence or hobby work I would buy 3 tools that use the same insert, an OD tool, a facing tool and a boring bar. An excellent insert choice would be a T (triangle) P (positive
Rake) G (ground). A good size would be 3 (inscribed circle in 8ths)
2 (thickness in 16ths) 1 (nose radius in 64ths). TPG321 inserts are available everywhere at reasonable prices in grades and coatings for common steels and aluminum.

Your mileage may vary.

I run cnc and manual lathes for a living, I often use triangular tools in the manuals, almost never in the auto machines.

Good Luck

As a side note, don't run carbide to slowly (-:

Thanks for all the help (received some private message which were great!)
This site is GRAND!

ok, here we go with down-to-basic questions again which are most probably going to make experienced machinists roll their eyes!
For my mini lathe, I purchased several turning/facing/boring/etc. tools. Not knowing exactly where I was going, I got several HSS tools (5/16x2.5) and some blanks to be able to grind my own (I'm not there yet...) and also a set of 3/8 tools with indexable carbide inserts.

Buy or make a tangential cutter. The Diamond from Bay-Com, right and left, is the set I use. Got the original maybe 20 years ago, and haven't used anything else since when I need a HSS lathe tool to face or turn. Works on CI, steel, Al, plastic, you name it. Takes about 30 sec to sharpen, no skill required, and maybe a couple minutes to hone (I use 2500 grit carbide paper). I spent years learning to grind all the lathe tools in the South Bend book...and haven't used a one since I bought the Diamond.

Buy or make a tangential cutter. The Diamond from Bay-Com, right and left, is the set I use. Got the original maybe 20 years ago, and haven't used anything else since when I need a HSS lathe tool to face or turn. Works on CI, steel, Al, plastic, you name it. Takes about 30 sec to sharpen, no skill required, and maybe a couple minutes to hone (I use 2500 grit carbide paper). I spent years learning to grind all the lathe tools in the South Bend book...and haven't used a one since I bought the Diamond.

GLCarlson,
Thanks for the advice but I'll try to first learn the ropes with what I have before getting hundreds of $$$ of tool holders

Back