Tooling

dlane

Active User
Registered
I went to a Craig's list add "machinist tooling" this guy inherited tons of tooling he knows nothing about machinist tooling . He says he wants to sell it at 40c on dollar. I picked up some carbide inserts and he tried to look things up in a
Enco catalog some things are outdated. How would he get rid of all this stuff at 40c on the dollar quickly as he dose not want to deal with it. I suggested he inventory everything and eBay lots of like items. It will take weeks to inventory all. He stated he would take $20,000 for all. I would guess the 40% value to be
$100,000 to $300.000 any suggestions advice.
Derrick

If the tooling is outdated and he can't find a price to charge he is in trouble. He needs to find someone that knows the value of what he has. If he goes by ebay prices he is in for the long haul.

"Billy G"

If you have the money, the time, and the space, then it sounds like there is money to be made. I would go for it.

My biggest problem would be actually selling the stuff because I have a full blown case of toolitus.:rofl:

I went to a Craig's list add "machinist tooling" this guy inherited tons of tooling he knows nothing about machinist tooling . He says he wants to sell it at 40c on dollar. I picked up some carbide inserts and he tried to look things up in a
Enco catalog some things are outdated. How would he get rid of all this stuff at 40c on the dollar quickly as he dose not want to deal with it. I suggested he inventory everything and eBay lots of like items. It will take weeks to inventory all. He stated he would take $20,000 for all. I would guess the 40% value to be
$100,000 to $300.000 any suggestions advice.
Derrick

I would suggest that he either hold an auction (be sure to get an auctioneer that knows the business) or get bids from several dealers.

My biggest problem would be actually selling the stuff because I have a full blown case of toolitus.:rofl:

No matter how good my intentions were... if I bought it all to sell and make money, most of it would probably still end up in my private stash and never be sold. Is there a 12-step plan for tool hoarders?

Kidding aside, John Hasler's idea of finding the right auctioneer is a good one. A good on-line auction with the right audience will pull in top dollar. I see it happen all the time on obenaufauctionsonline.com

GG

Please post the link if/when it happens.

Daryl
MN

if it's consumable tooling then he'll be lucky to get cents on a dollar, particularly if it's old. An auctioneer would be a great way to get rid of the stuff and make some money, but I can't imagine it would be a great way to realise its full value. No one in their right mind is going to shell out $20,000 for old tooling, no matter how much of it there is, unless they're swimming in cash. But then again, it sounds like the seller knows enough to know that he has something of value but not enough to know that he'll struggle to get what he thinks is fair value.

Hi all , I bought eight carbide tool holders from him and a bunch of inserts , turns out the inserts don't work with the toolholders . The inserts have a round hole and the holders need , I'll call it a three point hole and a backup insert. And to make it way worse the tool holders are a " little " to fat to fit in my Q/C tool holders my q/c tool post is a kdk are they made to only use kdk holders ?.
i would of hoped that this stuff was a little more standardized. Any how I'll try to return the holders and inserts and just grind tools . I'll see if the $200 I spent on tooling can go toward a drill press and a Kennedy roll around tool box.
Guess I should of found some advice on what works with what
Derrick

Post some pictures of the holders and inserts you got from him.

At least it will give us an idea of what this guy has for sale.

As others have said, if its older tooling, which it sounds like it is, scrap price is all he's going to get for his efforts.

I will admit, I have paid more than I wanted for obsolete tooling in my past.:thinking:

BTW if the tool holders are usable with standard carbide, all you have to do is cut them down to fit your tool holders. I do this all the time in my shop.

Boy is He optimistic! He better have a plan for long term storage.

Back