Tools for a beginner

There are HSS insert tools that can be sharpened on a diamond plate. They actually work quite well, and dead simple to sharpen.
They aren't the only possibility, but they work and are easy for people new to the hobby to use. I use them all the time.
In the US they are sold by Arthur Warner: http://www.arwarnerco.com/

Don't know about outside the US.

Last edited:
There are HSS insert tools that are sharpened on a diamond plate. They actually work quite well, and dead simple to sharpen.
They aren't the only possibility, but they work well and are easy for people new to the hobby to use. I use them all the time.
In the US they are sold by Arthur Warner: http://www.arwarnerco.com/

Don't know about outside the US.
Those are interesting! Will have a look around and have to see if i can find any like that! How do the hss inserts compare to the regular carbide type?

HSS steel inserts, like HSS generally run at slower speed than carbide. The individual cost of the Warner inserts is a bit higher, but
the tool kits come with spare inserts, and they can be resharpened many times, so on balance I don't think they're more expensive.
Carbide inserts of course come in an almost unlimited number of types and they're widely available. But, in the beginning I'm not
sure that's an advantage. I started using them about 6-7 years ago when I got my first lathe for the same reasons I've mentioned.
While I'm beginning to use a few carbide tools, I still use the Warner tools most of the time.

What kind of lathe do you have? HSS is a good choice for smaller, less rigid lathes if they run at lower speeds as well.

Hi all

I recently got my very first lathe and am starting to look at buying some tooling for it.

I am looking more towards insert tool holders mostly because I dont have and cant get a bench grinder to make my own cutting tools currently.

Is there any way to grind or shape hss tools by hand?

And will insert tool holder type tooling be fine for an absolute beginner?

Insert tool bit great when you strating
Use 3 to 6 deg rake angle

I use a lot of HSS bits for shap cuts even threading. Simple to sharpen to shape I need and low cost

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

If you have your lathe sitting in the "lounge" of your 1 BR apt then I assume it is a mini-lathe. These are not known for power, rigidity or speed and while carbide will work, it is not the best choice for these little lathes, as the guys have noted. I can see why you don't want to grind tools inside your dwelling and if you can't do it outside then you have to buy your tooling.

My first choice would be to have someone on the forum grind some tools for you. There are definitely some of them who are capable of grinding really nice tools for you; all you need to do is hone them and keep them sharp. The advantages are that they will be ground to work well with your small lathe, will last for years and are cheap.

If you prefer to buy inserted tooling then listen to @Nogoingback and get the AR Warner stuff. HSS inserts work well, even on a mini-lathe, and you can use carbide inserts in their tool holders if you wish. This is a higher priced option but will work better for you than carbide.

Brazed carbide tooling works well if you buy good tools and keep them sharp with a diamond stone, which can be done by hand. If you go this route, I suggest Micro 100 tools.

Last option, to me anyway, would be inserted carbide tools. These tools work on a small lathe but are nowhere near the performance of a good HSS tool. If you go for these, look for the SCLCR/L tool holders that take CCMT or CCGT inserts.

The performance of your lathe is greatly dependent upon the cutting tools you use. At this point you have no options but to buy your tools. Choose wisely.

If you have your lathe sitting in the "lounge" of your 1 BR apt then I assume it is a mini-lathe. These are not known for power, rigidity or speed and while carbide will work, it is not the best choice for these little lathes, as the guys have noted. I can see why you don't want to grind tools inside your dwelling and if you can't do it outside then you have to buy your tooling.

My first choice would be to have someone on the forum grind some tools for you. There are definitely some of them who are capable of grinding really nice tools for you; all you need to do is hone them and keep them sharp. The advantages are that they will be ground to work well with your small lathe, will last for years and are cheap.

If you prefer to buy inserted tooling then listen to @Nogoingback and get the AR Warner stuff. HSS inserts work well, even on a mini-lathe, and you can use carbide inserts in their tool holders if you wish. This is a higher priced option but will work better for you than carbide.

Brazed carbide tooling works well if you buy good tools and keep them sharp with a diamond stone, which can be done by hand. If you go this route, I suggest Micro 100 tools.

Last option, to me anyway, would be inserted carbide tools. These tools work on a small lathe but are nowhere near the performance of a good HSS tool. If you go for these, look for the SCLCR/L tool holders that take CCMT or CCGT inserts.

The performance of your lathe is greatly dependent upon the cutting tools you use. At this point you have no options but to buy your tools. Choose wisely.
Its almost identical to a 9" south bend, its currently mounted on a steel table

The 9" class lathe is a nice size for a small shop but most I am aware of lack rigidity, speed and power (not talking about the Hardinge/Monarch/Colchester lathes) so my suggestions stand. I can put you in touch with a few guys who I know for sure can grind good HSS tools. It will cost you less than inserted tools and will work very well on your lathe. Given that these tools will probably last you a decade or more, that is the way I would go.

The 9" class lathe is a nice size for a small shop but most I am aware of lack rigidity, speed and power (not talking about the Hardinge/Monarch/Colchester lathes) so my suggestions stand. I can put you in touch with a few guys who I know for sure can grind good HSS tools. It will cost you less than inserted tools and will work very well on your lathe. Given that these tools will probably last you a decade or more, that is the way I would go.

Its a colchester hahaad_1529605360071.jpg
That was before I fetched it over the weekend

I'm referring to the bigger Colchesters. Your's is a not even close to that class.

Back