Tools found in my new (old) machinists chest

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I found these in the tool chest I bought a couple of weeks ago…
CD15D28A-C16F-49D7-9A37-47C37C76482A.jpeg90A8F0D2-C6B8-4563-AAF8-6E28F59388AB.jpeg

Some I believe are apprentice pieces, others purchased by Mr Thurlow during his career, and some he may have ’forgotten’ to return to stores ;)

E2127A9F-EE79-4A7C-932B-F0F409FAF951.jpeg

the center finder and what I believe is a depth gauge are obviously scratch made - as is the 1/8th inch parallel

2B3A5A93-9A34-4B9A-A553-AFFFF3B3C9B4.jpegEF209485-30D0-457C-806B-75152C64F52C.jpeg

Then there’s this imperial radius gauge - in increments of 100th of an inch… I’m not sure as the markings are a bit worn and don’t seem to follow a pattern - the largest says 4 1/2, but the next is 45. The first is definitely not 4 1/2”, but the second is probably 450 thou… I dunno. I’m metric. ;)

5E5B3ADA-25FF-484A-A912-4F49B21EAF79.jpeg
577514EA-241E-4A8D-A5F4-218C7423278E.jpeg

There was also a set of BSF 7/16 taps

1B59C6AC-6D8E-43B6-A214-11CE4BEB758C.jpeg
And the reamers you can see in the first pics. I think that apart from one straight one, the others are tapered pin reamers. The second to largest states it’s a no 4. The smallest is a 0. The others are impossible to read. How would I identify these mystery reamers?

Finally there where these:

9AC27E8E-E53F-4EAE-8E0C-DD3A31AE8A09.jpeg

some sort of starrett adjustable square (no. Unknown), a starrett fishtale, and another fishtail with and adjustable depth gauge thing. I can’t make out the maker, but it was born in Boston Massachusetts.

B9343794-4B31-456C-BA39-BB88B07323FB.jpeg

can anyone identify it?

cheers

Jason.

Wow, those are some nice looking tools. I have to chuckle a little about the radius gauge — “Slip In”, No 220. Is that the UK equivalent of “Snap On” ? ;) The centre finder (the question mark shaped thing?) is especially elegant though, I’ve never seen one designed like that. Very nice stuff.

-frank

Here you go: John Wyke & Co.

The Patent date is Sept 11 1883 on that threading gage.
I can't assume that all those tools were found in the condition pictured. That would be a type of miracle.
Please describe what processes you used to clean them up.
All look very good and don't seem damaged by your cleaning method(s).

Last edited:
Some of the measurements that seem "disconnected" from the real world may well be in reference to specific parts as defined by a drawing. Then there is the possibility of threads being Whitworth versus Unified Standard. (55* vs 60*) The date, 1959, implies an apprenticeship to very old standards that existed then but haven't been seen in years.

Here you go: John Wyke & Co.

The Patent date is Sept 11 1883 on that threading gage.
I can't assume that all those tools were found in the condition pictured. That would be a type of miracle.
Please describe what processes you used to clean them up.
All look very good and don't seem damaged by your cleaning method(s).
To clean them, I used some methylated spirit - meths to us Brits, denatured alcohol to our American cousins I believe. That got most of the grime off. Then the items that had corrosion got a dunk in some evaporust. Then everything got a light buff on a worn wire wheel. Finally everything was rubbed down with some light machine oil to give it a coating… I keep meaning to get some spray on anti-rust like Balistol or similar, but keep forgetting.

Wow, those are some nice looking tools. I have to chuckle a little about the radius gauge — “Slip In”, No 220. Is that the UK equivalent of “Snap On” ? ;) The centre finder (the question mark shaped thing?) is especially elegant though, I’ve never seen one designed like that. Very nice stuff.

-frank
Yeah, I had a bit of a chuckle at that one. I’m sure it was the cause of many a smutty joke in the workshop at the time. ;)

Googling the name of the company brings up nothing but images of similar tools - 2-20 like this one, and then a 4-20 that seems to be more prevalent. I wonder if it was more of a trade mark rather than a company name.

That is one clever center finder; had not seen that design!
I seem to recall making one of those as an apprentice. I dont know what happened to it so perhaps it didnt turn out as well as it should have but that does look familiar

Back