Top side "creeper"

Cool. I wonder what the American Orthopedic Association would say about that? :)
I can see the article in the journal : "Chest-flattening caused by excessive use of makeshift auto engine servicing devices"
LOL
-Mark

Last edited:
I recall seeing something similar sold by MicroMark, for model train layout builders ...

Doesn't seem to have the knee option, though I guess that could be added.
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 4.43.04 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 4.44.47 PM.jpg

Reactions: tjb
There are several out there, most have you standing locking your knees which I find unbearable.
Snap on has one, which my design is based on.
I am used to their prices but I feel they are out of line on pricing.

On a side note.
Having some tool steel around the shop was super handy to make a drill bushing to remove one of the broken studs.
Turned it up in the lathe, hardened it with the forge and used a trick an old timer taught me using an old 4 flute tap as an extractor.IMG_20210430_180727.jpg

Sent from my GM1925 using Tapatalk

I've been looking at topside creepers recently, and am considering making one too. I don't spend much time over my truck or SUV, but it sure would be handy. Amazon has two Traxion models that are cheap enough to persuade me to buy one of theirs. One of the models is the same as the one hman posted ($230 shipped). I need a foldable one for space-saving.

I like their 3-700 model for better maneuverability between wheels ($317 shipped).

This is a well-done video comparing both Traxion models.

Nomad has one that looks comfortable, but it's more than a grand, and I can't justify it for little use it would get.

There are several out there, most have you standing locking your knees which I find unbearable.
Snap on has one, which my design is based on.
I am used to their prices but I feel they are out of line on pricing.

On a side note.
Having some tool steel around the shop was super handy to make a drill bushing to remove one of the broken studs.
Turned it up in the lathe, hardened it with the forge and used a trick an old timer taught me using an old 4 flute tap as an extractor.View attachment 364492

Would love some specs on yours when you get a chance.

Regards,
Terry

Hah! Looks like MicroMark is simply re-selling the Traxion (at a bit of a markup). I'm not into automotive stuff, so not aware of all the gadgets available in that area ... just recalled seeing the one I inked to, in a paper catalog that MicroMark sent me some months ago.

@TCSmith - looks like you've done your research. And I can understand your concern with locked knees. Yours is definitely an improvement.

Reactions: tjb
Great thread , I need one of these contraptions . I've had an issue with my 03 Super Duty also . When pulling on long uphill stretches I get smoke coming thru the dash board . I figure it's coming from the turbo ? Please chime in as I'm no deisel mechanic ( other than deisel fit and deis won't ) :)

Very handy! I also use mine to work on my train layout.

Attachments

• topside creeper.JPG
    topside creeper.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 10
I had an opportunity to get some measurements for ya. Let me if you have any specific questions. I built this thing on the fly and did not create any prints or drawings ahead of time. Some of the angle measurements are estimates but should be pretty close.

Materials used:
1 1/2" tube
1 1/4" tube
1" tube
3/4" round
All tubing is 0.120" wall

I didn't detail the top part as this will depend on your use and body structure.
I used plywood for the cushion bottoms, with tee nuts under the foam to bolt them on.

Overall height adjustment holes are on 2" centers.

Knee height adjustment holes are on 1" centers.

I may add a center foot to take up a bit of the bounce while on top of this thing. However it is totally manageable the way it is.
f838469bae2d95ee53dcb2dcc0963e97.jpg
5be4cd3131268c6e65504db2f489601e.jpg
246f437c85b8b4e17cfe34ce6f06264b.jpg
127d5d2ff2d900592fa48dba513131b9.jpg

I had an opportunity to get some measurements for ya. Let me if you have any specific questions. I built this thing on the fly and did not create any prints or drawings ahead of time. Some of the angle measurements are estimates but should be pretty close.

Materials used:
1 1/2" tube
1 1/4" tube
1" tube
3/4" round
All tubing is 0.120" wall

I didn't detail the top part as this will depend on your use and body structure.
I used plywood for the cushion bottoms, with tee nuts under the foam to bolt them on.

Overall height adjustment holes are on 2" centers.

Knee height adjustment holes are on 1" centers.

I may add a center foot to take up a bit of the bounce while on top of this thing. However it is totally manageable the way it is.
f838469bae2d95ee53dcb2dcc0963e97.jpg
5be4cd3131268c6e65504db2f489601e.jpg
246f437c85b8b4e17cfe34ce6f06264b.jpg
127d5d2ff2d900592fa48dba513131b9.jpg

Thanks. I see one in my future.

Regards,
Terry

Back