Tormach

There never seems to be very many used ones for sale. Is that an indication that owners are holding on to them?

I bought a used PCNC1100 Series II just about a year ago, I just saw a machine like mine go on Ebay for 8100. They are out there, if you want to score a used one you will need to set up a search on Ebay to send you warnings and check the Craigslist searchers regularly. And being willing to drive 6 hours to get one is another requirement. I love mine, I have cut mostly steel with it and it does great. The TTS tooling system is really handy and I'm expanding my TTS collection to make tool changes quicker. I preset all my TTS heights in Mach, so if I have TTS toolholder I don't have to reset the Z height when I change tools. On repetitive stuff, forgeting that genaraly results in some cussing and broken tools. Good luck.

There is a sub forum about them over on cnczone. That is about all I know about them.. but, I do like the tooling system and will eventually will convert my mill to it.

If you want to see one, I'm off Hardin Valley Road. 1100.

There never seems to be very many used ones for sale. Is that an indication that owners are holding on to them?

Yes. Used ones are rare, never last long. And everything you hear about the company support is true. There are (very) rare cases where a user has been unhappy -see the Tormach forum at CNC zone- but that's so unusual as to be remarkable. Best part is the company's commitment to an upgrade path for older machines: I did a three-axis total upgrade, series II to III (3 motors, three new stepper drivers, driver board) for 650 bucks.

Yes. Used ones are rare, never last long. And everything you hear about the company support is true. There are (very) rare cases where a user has been unhappy -see the Tormach forum at CNC zone- but that's so unusual as to be remarkable. Best part is the company's commitment to an upgrade path for older machines: I did a three-axis total upgrade, series II to III (3 motors, three new stepper drivers, driver board) for 650 bucks.

This is what made me decide to go with the Tormach, the upgrade options and the support. I have little time to be monkeying around trying to get something to work. These thihngs seem good to go pretty quick after delivery.

Any opinions on the Tormach CNC mills ???
Tormach usually has one or two setup at Cabin Fever, with more than a few people to talk to about the machine. I never felt any sales pressure though I made it clear that I wasn't in the position to purchase the machine. In any event if you are near by Cabin Fever is one opportunity to inspect the machines.

My impression of the machines is that they are excellent considering the price. You need to keep in mind that they aren't $50,000 machinng centers. That doesn't imply that they have cut corners though, rather they offer a solid but basic milling machine. For a hobby they are out of my price range but who knows what the future will provide. One thing I do know is that there is a lot of talk about the price of hardware from China inflating in the near future I don't think these good deals on machine tools will last much longer. That is something to consider if you are buying a machine or just looking.

I have had my series 3 for over 3 1/2 years now and am happy with it. They recently switched over to Pathpilot (variant of linux cnc) software, that was a real plus, no miscues like I had with Mach 3 software.
Overall I would buy one again if I had tit to do over ........

I went out to their open house last year. Very impressive. The company is employee owned and it shows when talking to the staff. Nice folks.

Back