[How-To] Tos sn50 tool post removal

Ve7oab

Registered
Registered
I disassembled tool post/cross slide and want to change out tool post bolt. It does not want to come out, penetrating oil, tapped on it, put it in press lightly. I don't want to force things. I still want part. I look at parts drawing and it looks similar to other bolts big base threaded shaft.
Has anyone ever had the bolt out on this style lathe?

Use a double nut to get it out if it's threaded into the base.

It will probably take a good bit of force to remove- try heating while you press

I meant threaded at top. I can’t see base threading physicalply or on drawings. But that’s a possibility I will explore, Thank You

It will probably take a good bit of force to remove- try heating while you press
Good idea, I can try that easily, and I will see if I can add pipe over bolt, double nuts, to reduce pressures on threads.

until you know which way it's supposed to come out, I wouldn't force it. I've seen some bigger lathes where the tool post stud is pressed in from underneath so if you try pulling it out of the top all that you'll do is crack the cross slide casting. Maybe ask on PM, someone may have direct experience of that lathe.

Tailstock4 here has a TOS lathe. Check with him. Dave

I disassembled tool post/cross slide and want to change out tool post bolt. It does not want to come out, penetrating oil, tapped on it, put it in press lightly. I don't want to force things. I still want part. I look at parts drawing and it looks similar to other bolts big base threaded shaft.
Has anyone ever had the bolt out on this style lathe?
I’m not exactly sure what you are asking. Are you asking about the bolt that holds the tool post or about the pivot stud under the compound, or something else? A picture might help.

I have a TOS SN40C, and I have the cross slide, saddle and apron completely disassembled right now. So, if you need a picture of that or something else, that’s not a problem.

I will have to take it apart to show pictures. I am talking about the center bolt that you tighten the 4 tool square turret with. I am wondering if that bolt and its base (like a big thick washer are held by pins or grub screw, or is mine just frozen in place.

Back