Total newb here. Single Phase motor on my Logan lathe. Is a VFD a good way for easy spead control?

pestilence

Active User
Registered
I understand VFDs are used to convert single phase to three phase power for machines that need it. I don't need that because my machine is already single phase and works well, but I find the idea of variable speed control without fiddling with belts very attractive. Is a VFD right for me?

Anyone got a model they'd recommend?

Re: Total newb here. Single Phase motor on my Logan lathe. Is a VFD a good way for easy spead contro

I do not believe a vfd will do you any good on a single phase motor

Re: Total newb here. Single Phase motor on my Logan lathe. Is a VFD a good way for easy spead contro

Charley's right, a VFD won't do you any good. You could always swap the motor out for a 3 phase motor of the same size. Most folks go the other way, so used 3 phase motors tend to be available cheap.

I am in the exact same position with my Logan 820. My favorite shop machine to run. Any who, it is an easy change out and I am sure you will enjoy the results. There is practically zero maintenance to a small 3 phase motor. These boys won't lead you astray!

Like your avatar. Right up my alley. Why I got into machining in the first place.

P.S. I like Allan Bradly or Square D myself, Hitachi is very good as is Samsung. I just would not go chinese, if for no other reason then the instruction books are crap. But then I am admittedly anti rice burner chinese. Never had an original thought in their mind but can copy anything for cheap.

Last edited:

I was hoping there'd be a some kind of a VFD available that didn't do the phase conversion but did do all the other nifty tricks. Oh well. It looks like motors are pretty cheap. Thanks for the input!

Back