Total Noob With Motor Swap Question???

B.R. McCall

Registered
Registered
I am looking at what I think is a Bridgeport clone (Newport) series 1 with a "J" head.

I don't pretend to know what all that means, but several hours of reading and looking at pictures has led me to this conclusion.

The machine has a 3 phase, 2H.P. motor and a belt and pully set to change speed. I do not/ will not have access to 3 phase power.

I need to know what options I have and approximate cost of those options. My first thought is to put in a 2H.P. single phase motor, and if not cost prohibitive, add variable speed while I'm at it.

I do know phase converters exist, but I know nothing about them, except that they seem to be about the same price as a new 2H.P. motor.

Can you please give me the pluses and minuses of the various options, as well as the approximant cost?

Thank you.

You could keep the 3 phase motor and us a VFD to simulate a three phase and get your variable speed also.

Yo can also get a single phased reversible motor 2 of 3 hp from horror fright for around $150

Frequency Drive is the way to go. You can get a 3 HP Drive with single phase in and three phase out. The best part is, if you get a sensorless vector drive you would have almost full torque at very low RPMs. Check Automation Direct or Drive Warehouse.

Thanks for the advice, but what is a VFD? Never mind, the above post answered that! Thanks

I realy like the 3 phase plus vfd for a nice smooth start , my old lathe had a single phase motor and the start up kinda made everything bounce. The ramp up down in rpm is very nice when power tapping on the mill gives a nice predictable stopping time.

Nice to be able to go a little faster (more than 60hz) or slower if needed also.

Stuart

One thing nobody has mentioned is that you probably will never find a single phase motor that is a direct bolt on. Bridgeport motors are proprietary they way they mount, and the length and diameter of the shaft.

Back