Total Noob With Motor Swap Question???

The S3 Model is the one I meant to link to. That would give the the best options. Like others have mentioned, it will be tough to find a single phase motor to bolt right up. Going with a VFD will most likely be the easiest option, a lot of the newer knee mills have these as an option, along with most modern machine tools. It will take a little work to wire these up because there is additional wiring needed for the things like the start/stop switch, potentiometer for adjusting speed, but not a big issue.
The Pros of the VFD is the obvious of using single phase, but you also have the ability to adjust speed from very low, like 100 RPM to well over the 1740 RPM that you normally would get. The only problem is at the low RPM's you have to be careful of overheating the motor. Just because i am sure the stock motor probably is not VFD rated. At the low RPM the fan on the motor is also turning slow, if this becomes a problem which I would doubt you could add a small 115V pancake fan to top of motor.
I am not an expert by any means, just played around with these a few times, so I am sure there is a few others here that could advise better.
Check around on other Brands also, might find a better deal. I know a lot of people have used the Hitachi with good results.
I have some larger machine tools running with 15 HP spindles running off of single phase in my home shop all with VFD's

I'm using this one on my 3hp mill with a 3 HP Baldor Super-E motor on it. Works very well, the tach output is really nice. Since I have no step pulleys or speed changer I needed something to give me some idea of the RPM I'm turning. The only problem we had with the VFD was setting up the braking resistor. Jim Dawson and I tried to figure it out for a couple of days and there was nothing about turning on the resistor function. And naturally we were doing this on a weekend so no tech support.

Had to wait a week to get out to Jim's again and call tech support. The braking function is labeled "overload protection". After setting that everything worked perfectly.

I've had Hatachi VFD's and one of them exploded on me. Shot fire out the side of it. So it was replaced with an Automaton Direct VFD. The manual they have is in English and easy to read and understand, other than the braking function not labeled correctly.

Yes you can get a Hatachi for less money, but how long to you want to spend trying to understand the chinglish manual? Jim has done hundreds of VFD's and it took him several hours to understand the Hatachi manual.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Reviews/Catalog/Drives/DURApulse_-_GS3_(230_-z-_460_VAC_Sensorless_Vector_Control)/DURApulse_-_GS3_Drive_Units_(230_-z-_460_VAC_SLV)/GS3-23P0

Back