Touch Dro Fix For Igaging Absolute Dro Scales (i Hope)

Yuriy, what is the time delay before the "no data" condition is set? I may need to use one of the timers to send data. I only send data now when one of the positions is updated, and that may be way to slow for the app. These scales only update at a 10Hz rate.

Brian,
The app will disconnect if it doesn't parse a valid data stream for 5 seconds, so 10Hz is more than enough.
I looked over your sketch (finally). Sorry it took so long - I was neck deep in fixing my own firmware problems for almost a month.
Now, I have a wild idea: what is the chance that Jimmy's UART-to-BT transceiver is set up to work at 115200 BAUD. If it's not and Arduino tries to send the data at that rate, the app will be getting garbage.
I'll send you some feedback in the email too. There are a few things that can be optimized.
Regards
Yuriy

Oh we went thru that exercise already. I ended up writing him an Arduino sketch to program it. I'll have him check it again, but that should be good.

And thanks in advance for the feedback!

Edit: Jimmy just finished soldering up a new proto-shield, so testing should continue in the morning. The first order of business will be to open a serial monitor on the tablet and ensure it's getting a good data stream.

Last edited:
Test #2 went well today with the exception that I couldn't get the Z-axis to work. I believe this to be a connection issue on my soldering job.
I figured out my previous issue, I'd manager to cross the Clock & Data lines on my USB boards.
I made a short video of the test. I tried uploading it here, but it didn't work. You can view it here:
Original iGaging Absolute Origin scales with Touch DRO

It Lives, Success !!!
I finally sorted out my electrical and soldering issues and now a 3 axes work. Here's the link to the "Test 2" video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c0pbp6ImWBNh6n_-qEJ-gxZcSaTQTdey/view?usp=sharing

I still have to remount the scales, perform the calibration procedure, and hook up the O-scope for some testing which will take a day or two.
I also need to put together a supplies list of components and see about drawing up a schematic.
More to come.
JP

I got the first scale re-mounted and calibrated to the App today. I decided to redo my scale mounts and make them a bit better this time around.
The resolution turned out quite a bit better than I thought it was going to be, ended up being 7735 CPI.

Just a quick update, I got all 3 scales remounted and performed the Touch DRO calibration procedure.
The Y & Z axes are working perfectly with a CPI value around 7742.
Having an issue with the X axis, it's coming in at a value of 1/3 that.
More to come.

Okay, possible kick in the teeth today.

Everything was going great until I got to the calibration procedure for Touch DRO. Two of the scales calibrated just fine, but the other was coming in at about a third of the CPI of the other two.

What I discovered was a difference in the manufacture between the scales. I need to do a new run with my O-scope and data logger to try and figure out if it's a difference in the readhead or the scale tape.

I you have multiple these scales, an easy test to see if they're all the same is plug each scale in to the same OEM display unit and run the readhead down the scale. Look for any big jumps in position and/or a change in position that isn't correct, i.e move it 3 inches and display only shows a change of 1 inch or move 3" and changes by 8" or 9".

This won't tell you which version you have, just if they are all the same type.

Pictures are of the boards inside the different scale versions.

As you can see from Jimmy's pictures, there are at least two versions of the old iGaging Absolute scales. The only way to tell the difference is by taking the cover off of the read head and looking at the version number silk screened onto the board. In the top picture is version 4.3, in the 3rd picture is version 3.1. Version 3.1 is the version that has been decoded.

We are currently deciding how to proceed. More to come.

Back