TouchDRO error - connection timed out

buffdan

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I finally got my mill in place, and scales & TouchDRO going
All scales reading fine Then I got an error, Connection timed out

I tried multiple reboots of TouchDRO, 2 different android devices..
A new USB cable, new USB power cube.. Different outlet
Disconnected all scale cables, tried plugging into ports, etc.
Then all of a sudden it worked, by itself, for maybe 10 seconds,
then stopped.

All together I might have 15-20 minutes of on-time for TouchDro.
This adapter is the board built, place in case... (Maybe 6 months ago)

Any thoughts on what else to try?

Thanks!
Dan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126-131653_TouchDRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126-131653_TouchDRO.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I finally got my mill in place, and scales & TouchDRO going
All scales reading fine Then I got an error, Connection timed out

I tried multiple reboots of TouchDRO, 2 different android tables..
A new USB cable, new USB power cube.. Different outlet
Disconnected all scale cables, tried plugging into ports, etc.
Then all of a sudden it worked, by itself, for maybe 10 seconds,
then stopped.

All together I might have 15-20 minutes of on-time for TouchDro.
This adapter is the board built, place in case... (Maybe 6 months ago)

Any thoughts on what else to try?

Thanks!
Dan
Dan,
I haven't seen this behavior before. The message indicates that the underlying BlueTooth connection is working, but the adapter is either sending junk, or nothing at all.
I can't think of any legitimate way for this to be happening, so there must be something wrong with the processor. BlueTooth runs on a dedicated core, and the code that sends data runs on a separate processor core. If the second core is frozen or the code is corrupted, it might cause this behavior. Basically it sounds like something esoteric broke inside the main processor.
Please ship it back to me and I will replace the board. Shipping address is here: https://store.touchdro.com/policies/contact-information

Regards
Yuriy

Thanks Yuriy..
Is it possible one of the scales caused this?
1 scale from DRO guys surplus Ebay sale, and other 2 from AliExpress.. supposedly Ditron.
But all 3 scales worked fine..
I forgot to mention that green LED on solid, and blue flashing

Last edited:
No, the microcontroller is on a separate regulated voltage rail and is well protected from the scales by the differential divers. I've never had a bad CPU before, so I don't even have a decent clue of what could have caused it. The ones I burned during testing/development usually fail outright (i.e. show no signs of life), so this has to be some sort of silicone deffect or possibly flash corruption (althogh that would be weird too, because the firmware is verified against a "checksum" before boot). I honestly have no clue, but I'm 99.9% sure it's not the scales.

ok thanks.. Will send to you..
But has me thinking.. I am totally fine with this version.. But would consider upgrading to latest.
Any trade-in value for defective unit? If not, I understand.

Well, I don't have old boards anymore, and don't have a way to replace the ESP32 modules (it has thermal pads underneath, and needs hot air station for removal and replacement. When I said "I will replace it", I really meant "I'll look at it, and if this is not an obvious "pilot error", I'll email Dan and ask if he is OK with a newer unit" :)

THANK YOU
I will try again.. But I cant see where I might be going wrong..
...... So I tried again.. and it worked for maybe 2 minutes, then same error..

So if anyone is wondering why they should pay a little extra for quality, and superb support.. This should give them a clue..

Last edited:
I have had a similar issue on occasion but put it down to the 8 year old Chromebook that I'm using. It would generally happen when I walk away from the machine for a period of time. Hitting the Bluetooth button in the app before leaving the workshop for the day has almost completely eliminated the error.

When it has happened, it seems like monkeying with Bluetooth on the Chromebook (or rebooting) would fix it. Rarely I have had to power cycle the interface board. It seems like the Chromebook occasionally tries to connect to the board at the OS level and then the connection to the app doesn't work after that. It's also quite possible that I have no idea what I'm talking about;)

Thanks for your reply.. This is happening on a 6 month old Fire tablet, and samsung note 10.. For me

Back