TouchDRO just arrived

jeffkash

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hooked it up on the bench and all is well.
Need to figure out how to mount the Shars scales to my LMS 3540 lathe.

Is there a way to zero only one axis?

Also is there a manual for the application? Didn't see one on the web site.

You can zero one axis by long-pressing the "abs/incr" button next to that axis.
There isn't a manual for the app. I'm working on one for the new version, but since there are only 25 hours in the day, ti's going slow.
Once done, it will [eventually] be here: User Manual

Regards
Yuriy

Each axis will have its own Zero. You will also have the absolute and incremental systems that you can use. Zeroing one does not zero the other so you can switch back and forth and not loose your zero in the other. Didn't a manual come with it? You will need one to learn all the functions on a DRO. The dials on some lathes are calibrated for diameter, some for radius. Probably best to set the DRO to match. I use diameter settings since that's the way most things are given. A "D" is displayed when in the diameter mode. Hardest thing about mounting the scales is to insure the read head is traveling correctly relative to the scale. There is also a calibration routine so you can match the dials to the DRO or to some other standard. One thing that got much easier for me was getting the taper attachment set dead on by using the DRO. By measuring the work with a micrometer and then entering that value in the DRO, you can tell exactly how far you need to go yet after multiple passes. Before the last pass I check again with the micrometer just to be sure. Being able to switch between Imperial and metric is handy, so is the calculator function. I'm not familiar with the Touch brand, mine are Easson. You will like your new DRO!

OK, I'm out of touch with the advancements in tech. Had to look up Touch DRO. nice idea. I have an Android cell phone and hate the touch screen. The tablet would probably work better for my fat fingers. Having all sorts of things stored in the tablet memory could be nice. if working for someone else storing time for billing, or set points for repeating jobs, angles for tapers etc. could be nice.
Let us know how your system works out.

Larry,
Here are a few screenshots of the next version.
The beauty of the touch screen is that you don't need to touch is as much.
For instance, storing a sub-datum is one click (on the round + button in the lower-left corner. Same for recall - just press the sub-datum in the list.
The second one is "graphical view", where you see 2D projection of the stored sub-datums. When "auto select' is turned on, you don't even need to select them sib-datums manually: just start moving towards the one you want to drill (the image is live. I.e. moves as you move the axis) and when you get close the DRO snaps to it and shows the delta on the right.

device-2020-09-11-131102.png
device-2020-09-17-232259.png

Back