TouchDRO V3 Freezing?

ycroosh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Good day,
Has anyone noticed any sort of readout freezing when moving an axis quickly? I just got this from someone:

One other quirk I have noticed is that sometimes the numbers stop updating for a split second, then resume. The number is correct after it comes back, so it’s just a display rendering issue, I think. It’s kinda acting like the app is being interrupted for a moment, like with garbage collection in Java or something.

It’s most noticeable when cranking quickly on the carriage, because you see the numbers jump a full inch or more (since you can travel that far during the pause). I don’t think it’s a huge issue in normal use because you’re cranking slowly and by small amounts, but might be something to look at.

I never noticed this in 2.5. It seems to be either new in 3.0, or something introduced when I upgraded Android, perhaps.

I can't reproduce this, even though I have the exact same table, so I wonder it it's just a single instance, or a problem with the app.

Regards
Yuriy

I've actually seen this a few times myself when cranking quickly. The readout freezes for a split second and then catches up again.

I'll see if I can manage to record a video of this behavior next time I mill something.

I've actually seen this a few times myself when cranking quickly. The readout freezes for a split second and then catches up again.

I'll see if I can manage to record a video of this behavior next time I mill something.
What make/model of a tablet are you using?

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 tablet.

Yep, that's the one :( The person who reported this has Tab A7 Lite, and I can reproduce it on my A7 Lite and A8 10.5". The problem is a power management bug in one of the drivers (don't know if this is Samsung software bug, or the SoC driver bug). Basically the OS tries to change power mode to a value that the chipset doesn't support, so it causes a micro-crash that lasts for about 0.5 seconds.
So far I can't find a workaround for it, so it might be a thing until Samsung finds and fixes it.

Don't waste too much time hunting it down if it proves hard to solve. I know from experience that driver bugs like that can be very hard to work around and you never know when the manufacturer suddenly releases an update that fixes the bug and nullifies all the work done.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I've seen this on the released version. Like the OP said, it doesn't seem to be actually losing pulses, and I attributed it to my old tablet, a Nexus 7. I can give it a try on a newer tablet to see if it recurs. I haven't done much work with the beta version yet, so haven't noticed it there.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I've seen this on the released version. Like the OP said, it doesn't seem to be actually losing pulses, and I attributed it to my old tablet, a Nexus 7. I can give it a try on a newer tablet to see if it recurs. I haven't done much work with the beta version yet, so haven't noticed it there.
Interesting... I have Nexus 7 2013 and it doesn't do this. Please let me know if V3 does it once you get some time with it.
Also, for clarification, it should not miss any pulses. The freeze is a result of a delay in reading from BlueTooth. The messages still make it through once BT stack unfreezes.

Don't waste too much time hunting it down if it proves hard to solve. I know from experience that driver bugs like that can be very hard to work around and you never know when the manufacturer suddenly releases an update that fixes the bug and nullifies all the work done.
I certainly hope that they find and fix it. There is no Android 13 for Tab A7 or Tab A8, but if and when it comes out, rumor has it that there should be a way to turn off BT power management at least.

Back