Tough, tough couple of weeks for me

Another day of fun. Sent off the chronology to the attorney that requested it yesterday. Then sent off a modified version to a second attorney. The second saw it, and finally he set up a meeting for tomorrow. So I get to tell my tale again. I do have a personal connection to an attorney in his firm, and he was quite sympathetic to my story. It may or may not help that this fine acquaintance and gentleman was a State Attorney General at one time. However, he's not licensed for what I need in the jurisdiction. The second attorney, I actually don't know. But I will know him by tomorrow afternoon.

The third firm, which was actually furthest along, has not given us any recent feedback, despite receiving documents. But I did have a long initial conversation with him. We didn't have a signed letter of engagement with the third attorney. So had to gently remind them today about that, and ask them point blank if they were intending to be counsel or not. Fortunately, today they responded. Hoo boy, not cheap. Good thing I was sitting down! Big city prices are a shock for a guy like me. Will have to have a family meeting tonight... I'm not used to this stuff, perhaps I've led a sheltered and quiet life. Maybe this firm will help us, don't know yet. Family meeting is in order...

In the meantime, "the other side" is continuing to make requests/demands on us, badgering us to make decisions, despite telling them to stop until we get counsel. Less than a 1/2 hour after getting off the phone with an attorney at 6pm last night, we get yet another email. Once we get actual counsel this will be a lot easier to manage, but now it's no damned good. The other side seems to have either insight or full access to things that we do not, including financial records. Makes it tough to decide what to do when you are denied vision into reality. It's clearly their plan to obscure things, but it doesn't make it easy for my family to make informed decisions at all.

Back