Tractor Project

ft2.jpg

After the initial successes, life got in the way and it also developed a starting problem, so it sat in the back of the barn for a few months. Once started, it ran fine, but it was a beast to start, usually requiring the battery charger set on boost.

Had a couple of slow days and got curious about the starting issue, so I dug into it. My first suspicion was bad glow plugs, so I pulled them out and bench tested them. On the bench they worked just fine. I buffed up all the connections and put them back in the engine. The connections, especially the jumper between the two plugs, were pretty corroded and after putting them in I wondered if maybe that was the problem. Sure enough, it started MUCH better and without help from the booster. Also discovered that it likes a LOT of throttle to start. The other diesels I have just want the throttle cracked.

ft1.jpg

With the starting problem fixed, I decided to do a little finish work. The original instrument panel was trashed and the mechanical drive tach from the Shibaura wouldn't fit in the original space, so I polished up a piece of stainless I had laying around and blanked it off. The fancy decal adds at least 5 horsepower!

I added the new instrument panel to mount the tach and while I was at it I added an ammeter and an indicator light for the glow plugs. I had just been listening for the timer relay to drop out, but with my hearing that was not a very dependable method.

So that's where she sits today. As I mentioned, the steering needs a little more love. Also, it has a 2000 RPM front PTO that's begging me to find something to run with it, plus two hydraulic outlets. The JD hydraulic pump is part of the transmission. I removed the pump that was on the Shibaura engine and blocked off the mount to eliminate the need for a tank and plumbing to keep the pump from burning up. It's sitting on my "maybe someday spare parts" shelf.

I love seeing this stuff. I would have a blast working on a project with any of you. To all of you, NICE WORK.

"The Yanmar engine was mounted bass-ackwards, with the flywheel in the front and the transmission driven off the crank snout. I presume this was to get the rotation correct. That also puts the radiator between the engine and the operator. Better protected that way, but a tad warm in the Summer I expect."

I've had a JD 445 a little over 21 years. It's the gas powered little brother of the 455. Mine has a 22 hp fuel injected Kawasaki mounted the same way as the Yanmar diesel. I use it year round. In the summer temps average in the low to mid 80's and I never notice heat coming off the engine. The fan is configured to pull air in through a grille from the operators station over the radiator, the engine, and the exhaust system. The warm air exits the engine compartment through the grille on the front of the tractor.

About the biggest problem with the rear facing radiator is that the grille at the operators station likes to collect debris thrown up by the mower or other implements. There's a removable screen between the grille and the radiator that helps trap debris before it gets to the radiator. The screen can be lifted out and cleaned. I clean the screen and wash down the tractor almost every time it gets used for mowing. you'd be surprised how much crud can be collected on a dry and windy summer day.

I didn't realize that about the fan. Makes sense. Good to know, thanks!

@PHPaul : great thread!
Thanks!

I have never quite been able to justify a tractor on my ~3.8 acres. but this looks like a very interesting "retirement pursuit".
I might even be able to get my wife to support it if it keeps me from dragging home more machines!
Grass cutting, snow blowing, Win-Win!

If there's any interest, I can do a pictorial review of the project from starting point to current status. Be warned, there is basically NO machining-related stuff here beyond a little welding and some sheet metal work.

Apparently by all the replies this is a very welcome thread.

The guy is one of those talented people that can break an anvil with a rubber hammer.

LOL!
Yep I know a guy like that!

The fancy decal adds at least 5 horsepower!

LOL, again!

Obviously from the video you are not too old to swing your far leg over the steering wheel to dismount.
So please keep up the great work.....and sharing it here!

-brino

Brino, you've got twice the acreage I do and I have two tractors. Couldn't imagine life without them. lol
IMG_4024.jpeg

IMG_4025.jpeg

This one is my work horse. When the logs get too heavy, the forks come off and chain them back on the loader arms.
IMG_4105.jpeg

Greg

Seems I read somewhere that the going rate was 1 acre 1 tractor. One tractor per acre. . . With 3+ acres up in the boonies ( I reside in town) there are only two(2) tractors. Weellll, wife's riding lawnmower may count as another? One a diesel, one gasoline. . . Thank goodness I don't have 40 acres.

Well, we have about 3 acres, & have the Kubota B7500HST, the JD riding mower & the ‘78 Troy-Bilt tiller.
I guess that counts as 3?
I have found that tractor ownership also requires a welder & torch.
Having a lathe & mill is a real bonus.

Back