Traming Vevor 4" Vice

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Have had this little Vevor vice for at least a year. Finally made hold downs for it and trammed it to PM the 855-T PM mill. Finally changed to my old reliable back plunge indicator and got it close enough to use. I'll be doing it again when I get socket head bolts to replace the hex head ones. When making the clamps I did not allow for the diameter of the hex heads. Makes it a pain in the ___ to tighten the bolts without moving the vice. When I said less than a thousandth, I mean it will only need to move .0005 to be dead on.

When I made some vise hold downs I used SHCS. I was told that they would fill with chips and become hard to use. Didn't believe the advice, to be honest. Well, they were right. Converted to ordinary hex head screws after a while. Much better. You might have to remake the clamps to get better clearance. Of course, you can be tenacious like I was, and find out the hard way. Sometimes experience is a better teacher than the advice of others.

Have had this little Vevor vice for at least a year. Finally made hold downs for it and trammed it to PM the 855-T PM mill. Finally changed to my old reliable back plunge indicator and got it close enough to use. I'll be doing it again when I get socket head bolts to replace the hex head ones. When making the clamps I did not allow for the diameter of the hex heads. Makes it a pain in the ___ to tighten the bolts without moving the vice. When I said less than a thousandth, I mean it will only need to move .0005 to be dead on.

You don’t show the securing bolts: are there washers under them to reduce the potential for tightening to put a lateral load on the clamp?

I use washers with flange bolts (plain, not serrated) and get almost no movement. As @WobblyHand notes this means some reworking of the clamps.

Technically what your doing is indicating the vise, not tramming. You would tram the milling machine head for square in the X and Y planes.

I would rather see you indicating the vise jaw vs the parallel in the vise, but either way it looks like you have it dead on.

As to hex vs cap screws, I wish I had time to worry about these things. A 1/10th second blast with an air gun whenever you need to change out the vise vs 10min setting it up?

Thats horrible I tell ya. ;)

Back