Transposing gears, the crazy way

If memory serves me well, the 13” and 16” South Bend standard end gears are 14dp. The factory transposing gears, including the set I have are 16dp. I believe that the quick change gearbox gears are all 12dp. At least they are on my spare 16” gear box that I have access to. I’d have to assume the 14.5 is similar. It shares some same parts as the 16.

The factory South Bend transposing set, in my opinion, is one of the neatest ways to get the metric pitches easily. I really admire what you have done with your time and skills!!

If you need a factory SB metric chart, Grizzly still has them available. I can look at the part # on mine if you want one in the future.

Thanks, I'm good on the chart. The math is easy and I have a limited range of needs; Automotive. No heavy equipment, no watchmaking. The math is number of teeth on the stud gear divided by the indicated thread pitch on the gearbox gives the metric thread pitch. Many pitches can be achieved by several combinations. The South Bend chart sticks to tumblers 1 and 3. I can get to some of the needed ones other ways and reduce the number of stud gears on hand.

The internet wisdom is that you remove the 64 gearbox gear, put a spacer on and reinstall the 64 to mesh with the outer 120 tooth idler. I noted a problem with this on my gearbox. The input shaft only has a keyway in the inner position. The outer gear is un-keyed. I see from your picture that they supplied a 64 tooth with an extended boss such that you just flip it over.
I first thought about keying, either with a dowel or a real key, the outer section of the gearbox shaft. But the potential for screwup dong it in-situ is extremely high, and I really don't want to strip the gearbox to do it in the mill. So I'm going to make a keyed hub and pin/bolt it to the existing 64 tooth. Or I may just make a new 64 and leave the original undisturbed.

Again, the internet wisdom was you just reposition the banjo to hold the bigger gear. This banjo is held by the bolt in a cross-slot at the top with limited range, and a grub screw at the gearbox boss end. If I had looked at it in the beginning it would have been obvious that the slot wasn't long enough (this I suspected) and would be inaccessible, totally covered by the 127 gear (didn't think of that). Right now it's being held by the grub screw only. But that is not a long term solution. I'm either going to extend the banjo and make a new slotted support point, or if the proper sized stock presents itself, duplicate the split clamp like in the picture.

And one more thing I see. There must be a longer banjo bolt and bushing not pictured. That 120 gear isn't hollowed out to match the original bolt/bushing length like I had to do. That would supply better support for the gear. But I'm not terribly worried about it. The only time there will be a cantilevered load from using the outer 120 gear would be low load low speed thread cutting.

But in the mean time, off to the next project. The wife needs a die to cut foam pads. Seems the embroidery machine supplier wants $6 (+S/H) each for a 70mm x 12mm circular foam pad... and there's 15 of them. So I get to whittle up some more 4140. But first, I'll need to make a tool post grinder......

It uses the same banjo bolt/spacer. The only thing I saw that stood out was the gears are of different thickness. I almost purchased a newer lathe because of metric capability but learned of the metric conversion kits. There’s not a lot of information about the metric kits for the larger ones but I just enjoy the simplicity of the older machines.

Attachments

• A5638676-A5D8-47F2-A495-D2B7A1EC14A5.jpeg
    A5638676-A5D8-47F2-A495-D2B7A1EC14A5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 825D8FEB-FCB7-4351-B9F7-98AFA5FB7E48.jpeg
    825D8FEB-FCB7-4351-B9F7-98AFA5FB7E48.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • F721969C-3EA2-40D1-8859-7B74B708A985.jpeg
    F721969C-3EA2-40D1-8859-7B74B708A985.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Interesting. That is the same thickness as the 14DP stud gears that came with my lathe. Is that a gear from a 14.5 / 16? Or a 13?

If you tell me those gears are 14DP, I'm a-gonna scream. Is the 120 gear a shade under 9", or a shade over 10"? In other words, did the metric conversion kit change the entire geartrain from 12DP to 14DP?

If you tell me those gears are 14DP, I'm a-gonna scream. Is the 120 gear a shade under 9", or a shade over 10"? In other words, did the metric conversion kit change the entire geartrain from 12DP to 14DP?

I did the measurements and math. Yes 12dp standard with the metric set being 14dp. I learned something! 120T=8.71” 127T=9.2

The internet information led me to believe that (on larger SBL) the only 12dp gears were the quick change gearbox gears. On the 13”, I have seen more than one thread discussing how they go from 14dp standard to 16dp for metric. I assumed my 16” was the same.

I’m sure South Bend did this so the gears would fit in and under the factory housing!

Sob... whine!!!!

Guess I have a very unique set of 12DP transposing gears.

Although.... I do now have the arbors and dividing head plates... and the 14DP #2 cutter. Just need some blanks to make a SECOND set. And the #3 (??) cutter to make the 64 tooth.

BTW, the 12DP set does fit under the cover. It just touches in one spot when swinging open, so don't open the cover while running.

BTW, the 12DP set does fit under the cover. It just touches in one spot when swinging open, so don't open the cover while running.

My SB Junior also touches when swinging the cover open. I expect it is a misalignment on the cover, but I don't think it's caused a headache (yet).

Back