Treadmill motor / control board help needed

poppaclutch

Active User
Registered
I would like to use this motor and control board on my 1928 9" Southbend Lathe.
This motor.jpgMC-2100 Board.jpgHD2 wire colors.jpg
I would like to know where to attach a Potentiometer. Or if it is just that simple.

Here's what I need explained....

HD2- This eight wire connection attaches the controller to the console. Each wire carries the following voltage signal:
BLACK- (Two wires) These are the ground wires for the console. All other voltages taken on the 8-wire harness are in
reference to either of these wires. Note: On the MC-2100SDI, the second Black wire (the one next to Violet) carries
a very small pulsing voltage the console monitors to count the number of steps taken by the user.
RED- This wire supplies the console with 9 VDC.
GREEN- This wire brings the speed sensor signal to the console. This is a pulsing 0, 5 VDC signal as the treadmill is
running. When the treadmill is at rest, this voltage may measure either 0 VDC or 5 VDC.
BLUE- This wire carries the square wave speed control signal from the console to the power board. The duty cycle of
this 5 VDC signal is used to set the speed of the treadmill. At the maximum duty cycle of 85% (meaning the 5 VDC
is being sent 85% of the time and not being sent 15% of the time), approximately 4 VDC can be measured. At lower
speeds, a lower voltage will be measured. NOTE: Many digital multimeters have difficulty measuring this square
wave signal. They may only show a maximum of 1.5 VDC whenthe treadmill is set to its maximum speed. What is
important to see in this instance is that the voltage goes up as the treadmill speed is increased.
ORANGE- This wire carries a 3.5–5 VDC signal to the power board to cause the power board to send 120 VAC to the
incline motor to increase the incline setting of the treadmill.This voltage should only be present when the incline is
being increased.
YELLOW- This wire carries a 3.5–5 VDC signal to the powerboard to cause the power board to send 120 VAC to the
incline motor to decrease the incline setting of the treadmill.This voltage should only be present when the incline is
being decreased.
VIOLET- This wire carries the incline sensor signal to the console This is a pulsing 0, 5 VDC signal as the incline is
moving. When the incline is at rest, this voltage may measure either 0 VDC or 5 VDC.

Thanks,
Rick

This motor.jpg MC-2100 Board.jpg HD2 wire colors.jpg

I think I have one of those boards in my collection. I will look at it tomorrow and see if I can help.
I much prefer the older MC-60 series controllers, and have 2 of them in service in my shop now.
Nice motor, by the way, one of those is running my X2 mill!.

Chuck

I think I have that same motor and board on my 10 inch atlas there was no way to just hook up a (pot) to it that I could find if you do make sure and post it please. To make it work I found a upper control board had a slide pot on it I measured the resistance and purchased a rotary pot and wired it in. There is also a start and stop button on there I had to solder onto that with a resister to get the board to turn on. So you need both the upper control board to signal the pwm board. If I had to do it all over again I would just find another PWM controller that does not need all that crap I used it because it had a high amp rating after I hooked it up even under heavy load the amps are very very low. But you will love the motor a lot of power and it makes threading easy.. Ray

The motor pulls 22.3 amps. I have a couple of M60 boards plus a few other types. Does it matter to the control board what the motor pulls ampwise?

The one Chuck pointed out would work fine I have one of those and wish now I would have used it. It turns out my motor is a bit bigger than yours and it also is suppose to pull 22 amps it never has pulled half that. Ray

OK. I have one M60 board setting on a large transformer that I guess I'll try. I put the word out, at the metal yard today, That I am looking for treadmills. Need to build up my transformer reserve!

Thanks for all the help, guys,
Rick

Rick, I have a DC treadmill motor on my lathe (10x22). It has worked well for four years. There are some draw backs, these are permanent magnet motors and the rated HP is a little misleading. A low RPM's these type motor do not have a lot of torque, so leave a couple of pulley sheaves on the motor so you have have a low gear ratio for heavy duty turning. You will find the rated HP is a high RPM that is probably outside of your work envelope. The best controller for these motors are made by KB Electronics and are widely available on Ebay. They come in many different varieties such 120 VAC or 240 VAC input and a wide range of outputs. They are well documented which helps significantly when you are trying to figure out how to wire them up.

Check out the documentation for a couple of these controllers by going to the KB web site and you will quickly figure out which type units will work for you. These controllers are widely used in many industrial applications are build to withstand a lot of use and abuse, something that many of the tread mill controllers can be short on.

Jim

google m60 wireing not knowing what model you got this the one most people use. With the amount of amp you are drawing use the threadmill control other wise it is going to cost you a arm and a leg I have used several they work great if you gear it write.

Ran 2hp and 2.9 hp motor on the m60 today. Everything went fine (except when I tried to steady the soldering iron with my finger... It has been a while since I have soldered).

I will try one of these dc motors on my Southbend, but for sure they will be going on my HF 7x10 and a small craftsman lathe I have.

Also, I would like to put one on a 72x2 belt grinder I built, but w/o using a jack shaft.

Thanks again for all the help,
Rick

Back