Treadmill Motor Conversion On A Walker Turner Drill Press

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
alright, next project on the list - adding a variable speed treadmill motor and tach to my WT drill press which also doubles as a sort of mill. It currently has a 1/3hp motor with 5 step motor>intermediate>spindle pulleys to give 250-900rpm and 3000-5000rpm. Changing belts in the lower range isn't a major deal, but it's enough of a hassle that I'm almost always using the wrong speed for something, and that gap in the middle is a huge pain.

I got a 1.5hp treadmill motor and MC40 controller from a treadmill our neighbours threw out and it's been on my list of things to do since the summer. I did this mod to my Atlas 618 lathe with a motor from jpfabricator which is awesome, so hopefully this one should be relatively smooth sailing.

One thing I want to do differently this time is to use the flywheel/fan that came with the motor. I'll need some way of securing it to the motor shaft (1/2-13 LH thread) and I'll have to add a V pulley to it, but that should still be easier than adding a bespoke fan like I did with the lathe motor.

First step, 1/2in mandrel to bore out a spare V pulley. 1/2" piece of mystery steel, countersunk, drilled and tapped for 10-32 and slit with a hacksaw. I tried my slitting saw but the material just laughed at it. IMG_4566.JPG
pulley mounted up on the mandrel in my collet chuck. I used the smallest pulley with the biggest boss that I had, some garage sale find
IMG_4567.JPG
lots of nasty CI later, it's bored out to 1.001in and the outside is tarted up.
IMG_4568.JPG

next, make a 1/2-13 LH threaded mandrel to mount the flywheel to so I can turn the OD of the multi-V-rib pulley down to 1". Hopefully later today or tomorrow.

mattthemuppet2

well badgers, I should have stopped while I was ahead. Turned down a piece of random steel stock until it was true, then turned down the end for the OD of the threads. Dumb ass that I am, I forgot to divide the difference between the stock at the last measurement and the target size by two, so ended up with the piece at the thread minor diameter. GRR! Before I threw a fit, I realised that the small end now fits in my collet chuck, so I chucked up the small end and left it at that. 2nd try tomorrow most likely.

donthack

Active User
Registered
alright, next project on the list - adding a variable speed treadmill motor and tach to my WT drill press which also doubles as a sort of mill. It currently has a 1/3hp motor with 5 step motor>intermediate>spindle pulleys to give 250-900rpm and 3000-5000rpm. Changing belts in the lower range isn't a major deal, but it's enough of a hassle that I'm almost always using the wrong speed for something, and that gap in the middle is a huge pain.

I got a 1.5hp treadmill motor and MC40 controller from a treadmill our neighbours threw out and it's been on my list of things to do since the summer. I did this mod to my Atlas 618 lathe with a motor from jpfabricator which is awesome, so hopefully this one should be relatively smooth sailing.

One thing I want to do differently this time is to use the flywheel/fan that came with the motor. I'll need some way of securing it to the motor shaft (1/2-13 LH thread) and I'll have to add a V pulley to it, but that should still be easier than adding a bespoke fan like I did with the lathe motor.

First step, 1/2in mandrel to bore out a spare V pulley. 1/2" piece of mystery steel, countersunk, drilled and tapped for 10-32 and slit with a hacksaw. I tried my slitting saw but the material just laughed at it. View attachment 119482
pulley mounted up on the mandrel in my collet chuck. I used the smallest pulley with the biggest boss that I had, some garage sale find
View attachment 119483
lots of nasty CI later, it's bored out to 1.001in and the outside is tarted up.
View attachment 119484

next, make a 1/2-13 LH threaded mandrel to mount the flywheel to so I can turn the OD of the multi-V-rib pulley down to 1". Hopefully later today or tomorrow.
I love those treadmill upgrades!

mattthemuppet2

me too, I've been wanting to do this for over a year and wish I'd done it already everytime I use it!

Minor update - threaded the end of the arbor 1/2-13LH after a few adventures and the flywheel threads on nicely. Have to cut the register on the arbor for the bore of the flywheel and figure out somewhat of stopping it from spinning off, then I can start cutting the boss for the pulley.

can't wait to take a pic, it's a 7in flywheel on a 6in lathe, only just clears the ways!

mattthemuppet2

finished up the arbor to hold the flywheel on the lathe. Threads were kind of crappy but the register is a tight fit and the flywheel has stayed on through a few cuts, so I'm pretty confident it won't unscrew.

not much clearance though :)

IMG_4576.JPG IMG_4577.JPG

have to pause this for a bit as the spindle pulley bushings were replaced by a previous owner and machined off center which is causing a lot of vibration and finish problems, so I'll have to replace those before continuing. Really don't want to screw this up!

mattthemuppet2

made a lot of progress :)

turning down the flywheel stub
IMG_4821.JPG

overshot and ended up with a tight slip fit instead of a press fit, so had to use a set screw instead
IMG_4822.JPG IMG_4823.JPG

drilled through for a set screw to bear on the motor shaft (ground a divot for the set screw in the threads)
IMG_4824.JPG IMG_4825.JPG IMG_4826.JPG

center drilling the motor shaft so I could turn the pulley and flywheel true
IMG_4827.JPG IMG_4828.JPG IMG_4834.JPG

balancing the flywheel on my DIY balancing jig. It was a long way out of balance!
IMG_4835.JPG IMG_4836.JPG IMG_4837.JPG

back together again :)
IMG_4838.JPG

currently making an adapter plate so I can bolt it to my drill press motor plate

mattthemuppet2

made an adapter plate out of a piece of alu scrap from my pile
IMG_4840.JPG

I was pretty pleased by the milling - came out ok considering it's a drill press. Still desperately want a mill though.
IMG_4841.JPG

mounting bolts drilled and attached to the motor
IMG_4842.JPG

next up, electronics!

mattthemuppet2

making progress on the control box aaaaand blew up a couple of components on the drive :(

IMG_4846.JPG IMG_4847.JPG IMG_4848.JPG

adapter for the SCRs to use the case as a heatsink
IMG_4850.JPG

in the box, in happier times..
IMG_4851.JPG

blown diodes, not that it was working beforehand. Lots of troubleshooting ahead, although at some point it might be worth just buying a newer board.
IMG_4852.JPG IMG_4853.JPG IMG_4849.JPG

easttex

Registered
Registered
That's a pretty rough looking PCB. Will you be able to salvage it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mattthemuppet2

That's a pretty rough looking PCB. Will you be able to salvage it?

it's pretty grotty, but most boards from old treadmills are pretty scummy :) John's helping me troubleshoot it, so fingers crossed. I have a couple of diodes I can swap in, but I want to figure out what went wrong first. The annoying thing is that I can't remember if this board or the one that I put in my lathe control box was the one I pulled from a working treadmill. I got them both last summer and I've forgotten a lot since then!

Doesn't look like he smoked anything but the diodes. I've repaired worse.
fingers crossed! Not just for the cost of replacing it, but also the time fitting it to the case. These MC-40/60 drives are pretty compact.

easttex

Registered
Registered
it's pretty grotty, but most boards from old treadmills are pretty scummy :) John's helping me troubleshoot it, so fingers crossed. I have a couple of diodes I can swap in, but I want to figure out what went wrong first. The annoying thing is that I can't remember if this board or the one that I put in my lathe control box was the one I pulled from a working treadmill. I got them both last summer and I've forgotten a lot since then!
Right on man! I'm following this thread with much interest!

mattthemuppet2

thanks! It's all fixed, at least temporarily. Ordered some proper sized fuses and waiting to hear back about the suitability of the diodes I swapped in, but it ran up to full speed with no problems. No major vibrations, although at 4500rpm it looked (and sounded) like it wanted to take off :)

mattthemuppet2

well, it's not fixed as it doesn't work again :( Just bought a new controller instead of trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

Finished the front plate and all the wiring that I can do for now. It'll be easier to finish all the box -> front panel connections once the controller board is in place.
IMG_4857.JPG IMG_4858.JPG IMG_4859.JPG

made a knock for the speed control and while I was at it, for an LED lamp I made for my wife a while back.
IMG_4860.JPG

mattthemuppet2

alright, all finished! The new board arrives and I was too excited to wait until the new fuses arrived, so I pulled the old motor off the drill press and put the new set up on.

bottom half before joining. It's fairly crowded in there. Wire on the bottom right is for the tach head, black and red wires at the top left are AC wires for the tach power supply. Both those wires and the power wires for the sockets near the motor are tapped into the AC wires downstream of the main switch on the left.
IMG_4876.JPG

back of the front panel. The DC + and - wires come off the top two poles of the reversing switch in the middle - the 2 middle wires come from the board. Board power switch is on the bottom left, tach power supply (120VAC -> 9VDC) is top left, tach is top right and speed pot is bottom right
IMG_4877.JPG

I was just JUST able to plug the pot wires onto their posts (MC40 board is laid out opposite to the MC65 on my lathe). Then I realised that I still had to bolt the controller box to the drill press from the inside. That wasn't fun.
IMG_4878.JPG

everything mounted up. Had to partially remove the clock spring to get to the bottom right screw on the controller box - doh!
IMG_4879.JPG

close up of the motor and the socket box. There's enough movement in the original motor mount slots to access the top to pulleys of the intermediate pulley, which is really neat. Most likely it'll be left in the top one, just put it in the 2nd from top because it was easier for now.
Socket is wired and grounded to the main box switch, so turning off the box turns off the sockets, which I'm pretty chuffed about.
IMG_4880.JPG

here it is, in all it's glory! Wire on the right is the tach reader head, pointing up at the underside of the spindle pulley where I glued a rare earth magnet. Worked fine in testing.
IMG_4881.JPG

can't take it for a spin yet until the 10A fuses arrive. Trust me, I tried and immediately blew the 3A fuse (all I had in that size). Still, all the lights work and the tach works. Fuses should be here today, so I'll update the thread with speed ranges and first impressions. I'm super pleased that this is finally done!

mattthemuppet2

finally got a few niggles sorted out and gave it a run through the speeds. I can put the motor belt on one of 2 intermediate pulleys, I only tested on the larger one as I didn't think to try the others yet (you can see it on the smaller intermediate pulley above).

That gets me 3 low speeds:
50-400rpm
300-1000rpm
500-1600rpm

sounds like it's about to take off at the high end of the speed range! I've also ordered a choke to put on the DC line as I found that smoothed things out and reduced noise on my lathe.

I'll check out the high speed range when I get home later.

mattthemuppet2

had a bit of a diversion - new link belts, forward-reverse switch crapped the bed, took the low speed shaft apart (took me 3 years to figure out how!), made a carriage stop and finally checked out the high speed of this thing. get this, 4300rpm!!! low end of 1300rpm, so a nice range for wood or small bits. might have to add a heart sink to the case though, gets pretty warm at extended runs at full speed :)

John Hasler

Active User
Former Member
That's not really a very wide range for a DC motor with closed-loop controll. You should be able to get 10:1.

mattthemuppet2

that's for 30-100% of motor speed (going by the pot position). From experience with the one on the lathe, below 30% is fairly gutless. However, this is a more powerful motor (1.5 vs. 1hp) and the different type of cutting action may allow me to go lower on the dp than I can on the lathe. I'll see how it goes with use and report back.

John Hasler

Active User
Former Member
that's for 30-100% of motor speed (going by the pot position). From experience with the one on the lathe, below 30% is fairly gutless. However, this is a more powerful motor (1.5 vs. 1hp) and the different type of cutting action may allow me to go lower on the dp than I can on the lathe. I'll see how it goes with use and report back.
I'm getting a 10:1 useful speed range on my lathe but that's with a closed-loop controller.

mattthemuppet2

from memory that's a controller that you made yourself right? Or some non-treadmill based controller? I'm using an MC40 treadmill controller, which I'm pretty sure isn't closed loop. Either way, I'm happy and that's all that counts :)

mattthemuppet2

just to (almost) complete the story, I added the choke I got off eBay to the motor. Runs much quieter and smoother now, less speed oscillation which is nice.

IMG_4902.JPG IMG_4904.JPG

the reason why it's not completely finished is that I need to add the new F/R switch that arrived today, as the cheapo eBay one crapped the bed. this one is a decent brand and rated at 20A/125V, so that should do the trick. I've been missing my "start at previous speed" function that the switch gives me :)

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
looks great Matt!
very nice use of materials, great project!!!:grin:

John Hasler

Active User
Former Member
from memory that's a controller that you made yourself right?
No, it's the one that came with the treadmill. I made minor modifications. One of these days I'll finish the tach and post the project here.

The controller I made myself is on the knee drive on my mill. I'm not satisfied with the result, though. The controller works fine but the 1/4 HP electric drill motor is too feeble.

mattthemuppet2

ah, gotcha John. got my wires crossed :) with some more use and the choke on the motor line I've been using the 2nd fastest pulley from 300rpm to 2200rpm without any problems. dunno if it works better than the one on the lathe because it's a bigger motor or because the drill press/ mill is more forgiving. can't see myself using the other pulley ratios other than for very small cutters or large drills/ hole saws. haven't done any work with steel yet though, but i did run a 1/2in router bit through some wood this evening at full speed, which was fun.

thanks Mike, it's been on the cards since Christmas and I've been looking forward to it for ages! it's every bit as great as I'd hoped!

hman

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Matt -

On June 2 you posted, "I've been missing my 'start at previous speed' function that the switch gives me." It's not clear, but did you get this working again? If not, you might want to do what I did when I converted a drill press to use a treadmill motor. By adding a simple on-off switch to the center wire of the pot, you can get "start at previous speed." I was lucky enough to find a pot with a push-pull on-off function right on the knob.

My only remaining gripe about the motor and flywheel is that it spins a LONG time after I shot it off. I'm planning to scab on some kind of brake band around the flywheel.

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
Matt are you going to part with the WT power switch? I'm looking for one.
Mark S.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock