Treadmill motor for antique lathe

joerm64

Registered
Registered
Hello all, does anyone know how or even if I can wire a 1hp dc 90v 9amp treadmill motor together with the power supply I bought on ebay (doesn't match the motor.. motor is old school 1hp, bigger than the newer *rated* types of +2hp) Because I really have no clue what I'm doing at this point. In my mind's eye I visualized the power supply being a simple a.c. in to d.c. out situation when I bought it only to find when it arrived that it's a.c. in to a.c. out (mimicking d.c.??) I attached a diagram of the power supply and the motor contacts in the hopes that a knowledgeable member could connect the dots for me as though speaking to a kindergartner (which I feel like while trying to plug a square into a round hole)
Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated ;o)

DC motor power supply.PNG

DC motor power supply.PNG

Hope some one helps. I would like to re-purpose my old treadmill.

Treadmill motors usually require a controller to work. There are several replacement boards out there which will work quite nicely with many of the treadmill motors that most folks have been salvaging. Right now I want to say do a search on MC-60 controller and see if you cannot locate one for a reasonable price. Treadmill motors are usually brushless motors that resemble a stepper motor on steroids. Once you find a controller, you will be able to manage the speed of the motor while maintaining the torque all the way down to very low speeds. One of the drawbacks is that stepper type motors do lose torque as the reach higher RPM's so a stepper running wide open is relatively easy to stall. However in the middle and lower RPM ranges we normally run our equipment at they do have a long list of positive uses and applications. PM me if you need a quick primer on why you need a controller and what you need to do to get the most out of a stepper type motor.

Bob

Thanks I'll look into the mc-60 motor controller that you mentioned. Mean while the attached pic shows the potentiameter I'm waiting for in the mail. Does it look like I need to start over from scratch or can the power supply mentioned earlier in the thread along with this hi-q pulse width PWM DC motor speed regulator controller switch 6v-90v 10a in the attached pic some how be wired together with my treadmill motor?

potentiameter.JPG

potentiameter.JPG

I think? you may have to start over for a controller - what you have seems to be a a transformer changing 120 to 9 volts? a picture would help.
and the potentiometer thing - again, I believe, only controls DC voltage that is already DC. carefully reading the specs shold clarify that. Your motor just may be OK, again a pic sure would be helpful...

The simple way to rig a TM motor is to have a control board off a treadmill (like the one beckett points out) you will just add an inexpensive pot to it and its a go.

Thanks, I don't have much as far as specs/diagrams. The motor is d.c. out of a Treadex treadmill many years old (pics atached)

The power supply I thought was a.c. 120 to d.c. 120 but it turns out it's a.c. 120 to a.c. 120 and 9v a.c. I read somewhere that some treadmill companies in order to save money used a.c. power supplies that mimic d.c. in some way. If that was the case I thought with the crude pinout diagram I did earlier in the thread maybe someone could see a way to salvage the pieces i have to make them work together... no clue (pic of power supply attached)

power supply.JPGd.c. motor label.JPGd.c. motor terminal connections.JPGd.c. motor whole.JPG

power supply.JPG d.c. motor label.JPG d.c. motor terminal connections.JPG d.c. motor whole.JPG

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that the power supply / controller? is from a Nordic Track Treadmill p/n 158385. as shown in the pics up in the thread. The motor I had laying around for years out of an old Treadex.

I was thinking how to gear one of those motors down and make a cheap welding positioner :anyone:

Back