Treadmill motor for antique lathe

Interesting F350ca, How would I wire that configuration up? I googled "Router Speed Controller"
and Harbor Freight is selling them for $19. I know I know... trying to go cheap is how I got caught up in the mess with parts I don't need. (unless someone see's a work around) :eek:)

Interesting F350ca, How would I wire that configuration up? I googled "Router Speed Controller"
and Harbor Freight is selling them for $19. I know I know... trying to go cheap is how I got caught up in the mess with parts I don't need. (unless someone see's a work around) :eek:)

I don't own or have used a router speed controller but use a variable transformer that does virtually the same thing old school. Im assuming the output from the speed controller is AC so you need to rectify it to DC to run your treadmill motor, the bridge rectifier will do that. (if the output of the speed controller is DC the rectifier can still be in the circuit). The bridge rectifier as in the link has 4 posts, two diagonal posts will be marked AC with the little squiggly ac symbol, feed the power from the controller to these. The other two posts marked positive and negative are where you connect the motor, if the rotation is wrong just reverse them. You'll need to mount the rectifier in a vented case to keep it cool or attach it to a metal plate to dissipate some heat.
The treadmill motor like any other DC motor looses torque as you slow it down. It is a good idea to have a small separate fan cooling the motor, if you use the shaft mounted fan it won't move enough air as you slow the motor down.

Hope this helps. Im using a treadmill motor to run a tool grinder through a variable transformer and rectifier and it works fine.

Greg

Joe,
You have reached the limit of my expertise, so I am not ignoring you, I am sitting back and learning along with you. There are a couple of fellows who are pointing you in the right direction and are showing you how to proceed and I don't have any expertise to really add at this point, so unless we run into difficulty I will leave it In their obviously more capable hands. That motor is an oldie and may not even require a controller like the MC60, but hang on to it because if you have an Asian import mill or lathe it will probably come in handy down the road when you blow a board from chaff getting across a component or trace. Hope this helps and I am watching with interest too.

Bob

Thanks for all the help/thoughts/suggestions from all. Looks like I have several routes I can take to power the motor. I'll update when I finally put it online and get the lathe running.
Thanks again!

Back