Treasure Trove

taycat

Registered
Registered
been sorting my dad's garage out as since last heart prob he as decided to slow right down.
no machinery but shed loads of hand tools.
a lot of which i remember using as a kid.
found a tin with oiled cloth in opened it up to find hammer i made at school, he never used it and isn't letting me have it.
even got the old input shaft we got from scrap gearbox to do clutch on my first car.

many happy memories of working with him over years, and lots of working in rain on cars.
but also scares hell out of me as realised he isn't going to be around forever.

Taycat,

I know how you feel. As a kid I learned so much just holding the trouble light for my Dad. Whether it was auto brakes, well pumps, electronics or so much more, he always "invested" the time to not only show me how something worked, but to tell me why it was built that way, and what wears out/goes wrong with it.

This summer he helped me thru diagnosing some transmission problems on my truck. As always, he helped me see it as just a collection of parts. That diagnosis lead to me tearing into it and simply cleaning a mesh screen on a solenoid. For the price of a filter and fluid (and the time) it is back on the road. Without his support I don't know if I would have tackled that job.

"On the shoulders of giants" is truly how I feel.
I will always need him.

-brino

Same feeling here. After my dads passing in 07, I found a vice I made for him in shop shop class. It required casting the main body (aluminum) around the machined components, taking 18 weeks to complete (If I remember right). It was still a virgin when I discovered it stashed away.
I miss my old man....

Same feeling here. After my dads passing in 07, I found a vice I made for him in shop shop class. It required casting the main body (aluminum) around the machined components, taking 18 weeks to complete (If I remember right). It was still a virgin when I discovered it stashed away.
I miss my old man....

Got choked up reading this post. Miss my dad too.

Tom S

remember i was about 10 and helped him do rear drum brakes on our car.
dad said i could drive it rd after we finished.
so jumped in ready to go all i heard was him shout whoa.
in my excitement forgot we hadn't put drums back on or wheels.

He is a role model you need to emulate for future generations.
Do him proud!
And please don't think its weak or unmanly to tell him what you are thinking and feeling.
Real men love their families and friends.

Daryl
MN

Daryl has said some profound words. Live by them and life becomes easier. My Dad died in 1986, my Grand dad in 1961. I miss them both terribly. They are the ones that formed me into what I am today. I never go thru a day without thanking them.

"Billy G"

Enjoy every minute. My dad taught me to fix everything from arrows to zambonis. More importantly, he taught me that even if I don't know how to fix it, I can learn how. One of my best memories was my dad and I having a couple of beers as I rebuilt the transmission on my dirtbike 15 years ago. I got it all back together, it shifted butter smooth and he said, 'Good! You have paid attention.'

If I could talk to my dad again and ask for his advice......... He died 35 years ago. He was one of the smartest men I ever knew......... If I could talk to my dad again and ask for his advice...............
My dad died when I was 20 yr old and I thought I was smarter than him.
Don't miss your chance to talk to your dad and ask his advice.
I love you dad, Ed

Back