Treasure Trove

Hi fellas,
After posting on the vise I made my pops back in HS "79", I decided to post up some photos showing as many parts as possible. This took me back to memory lane and I remember how special my Machine shop teacher was. Mr. Bishop was a WWII tail gunner (sorry I can't recall the exact bomber).
and has since past away from Leukemia. I stayed in touch with him for a few years after graduating and even spoke to his students while on leave from the Navy. He always insisted I dress in my cracker jacks when addressing his students as he was like a proud father when he introduced me to the class.
The vise was built in Advance Machining class my junior year requiring casting,welding and of course machining. Mr. Bishop had secured the molds from a Colorado technical institution and really wanted some of us to build the vise, but only a few of us took welding class along with machining.
He always inisted we did 100% of the work, so I took on the challenge. The body is cast aluminum (we could only cast aluminum and brass) and took some time to set up the steel guide pipes. Welding was required for a key way and internal acme sleeve for the main lead screw. We had to grind all HHS tooling for each process.

I decided to take it apart and clean up the years of patina and grease and reassemble to like new. I do plan on mounting it and only use it for small parts as one blow could result in failure of the cast aluminum.

In the end, If I recall correctly I was given a B+ for the project. Looking at it today, Mr. Bishop was generous with his grading system. Haha

My old HS stopped offering vocational classes sometime in the late 80's to early 90's. Mr. Bishop, RIP passed in 95. Memories do not allow me to repaint it, for some odd reason.

IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0692.JPG

Back